#41 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, I suppose we like to think that someone we admire shares our values. People like Beck are invested with a certain "image" that sometimes it's difficult for them to shake off. The whole "slacker" thing of the beginnings, for example, was put on him by perceptions.

I'm a big fan of The Stone Roses - as I said before elsewhere - and their fans can be really strong-minded in their views of the band. To many they have an almost prophetic status. When in 2012 they played a secret corporal gig sponsored by Adidas and later played in Dubai, some took it really really badly, saw it as a total sell-out, despite the fact that Ian Brown, the lead singer, has been a testimonial for Adidas for years, a brand that many fans buy too. I think a lot of the disappointment came more from the image the fans had built of their idols, rather than a u-turn on personal convictions on the band's part.

I'm sure that Beck's affiliation with Scientology has not gone down well with some fans, as it may go against the image of him they had created.

As for little things we put upon him: I thought he's a vegetarian (which has no basis whatsoever, I don't even know why I would think that! I'm not a vegetarian, so it's not as if it would "please me" if he were), he doesn't smoke (never saw him with a cigarette), he doesn't do drugs (I might have taken that view because of his affiliation with Scientology as I understand they're very anti-drugs), he drinks in moderation if at all. None of these assumptions may be true!

ot2t1.gif

#42 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

As for little things we put upon him: I thought he's a vegetarian (which has no basis whatsoever, I don't even know why I would think that! I'm not a vegetarian, so it's not as if it would "please me" if he were), he doesn't smoke (never saw him with a cigarette), he doesn't do drugs (I might have taken that view because of his affiliation with Scientology as I understand they're very anti-drugs), he drinks in moderation if at all. None of these assumptions may be true!

Lots of people have been under the impression that he's a vegetarian. I think he actually has been at times. But not always; there have been interviews in which the writer mentioned Beck eating meat during the interview. 

I think one of the first things I really liked about Beck (besides his music) was the fact that I never saw him smoking. You know, if musicians smoke, you usually see them doing it--onstage, in photos. I figured even if he smoked, it was cool that he wasn't really blatant about it. But then I read in an early interview that he said he once smoked but he stopped because his lungs couldn't take it. (I forget exactly how he phrased that, but it was like he had breathing problems of some kind.)

Posted Image

#43 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Good on him if he did. I know quite a few smokers - heck, I'm married to one! - and it seems to be a really difficult thing to give up. For a singer it has a double impact. It really kills your voice. And I doubt he would be able to do what he does (or did) on stage, if he smoked. You need a lot of breathing power to sing and jump and dance like he does (or did).

However, reading Palacios' biography and other articles and interviews, not least one that came out recently where he talked about his surprise at comments made by Wayne Coyne (and hat off to him for the courteous way in which he handled it), there are various mentions of him suffering with "exhaustion" and not fully explained "illnesses", which made me wonder if he isn't a bit of delicate constitution. In the recent interview I refer to, he even uses the word "condition". Again, not something I can substantiate, just assumptions.

Through interviews and what I read about him, I have formed my idea of his philosophy and outlook on life and art, which may or may not be the "real Beck". I imagine that he sees life not so much as a trajectory, but as a series of moments and chances, where the best outcomes often happen by accident rather than through a plan, and that it is important to seize moments, opportunities, even mistakes; he seems to have a voracious curiosity, a willingness to explore every idea, even when they unsettle him, and question himself about why something unsettles him instead of simply refusing it point blank, use as inspiration what repels him just as much as what he likes. And I figure that he doesn't subscribe to the notions of ranking, labelling, cataloguing, boxing ideas, things and people, freely moving between them and viewing them as a whole rather than separate parts - which may explain him reconciling Judaism and Scientology, for example.

I am aware that it's how I perceive him, though, and maybe he doesn't really think like that.

(Sorry about my long rambling. I don't know many people who love Beck the way I do (i.e. more than it's healthy to do :P ) and so I take full advantage of this place.)

ot2t1.gif

#44 Dora Wow

Dora Wow

Beck's Personal Food Taster

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts
  • Interests:Horses, dogs, squirrels, cats, Beck, Marshmallows, chocolate mice

• Current Mood:
    Nicotine and gravy

• What I Am Listening To:
    Hugh Masekela
  • no yes no!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

For me, Beck's scientology involvement is the boring thing about him.  Probably not at all boring for him, but for us, it takes up too much words, paragraphs, headlines, essays, and it is just zzzzzzzz........  I don't blame him for trying to keep it a secret back in the day.  And if he reads all those take it to the bridge books then his head is melted already.  

But he is surely a very nice man despite that. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

[center]Je t'aime..................................................... moi non plus

#45 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

However, reading Palacios' biography and other articles and interviews, not least one that came out recently where he talked about his surprise at comments made by Wayne Coyne (and hat off to him for the courteous way in which he handled it), there are various mentions of him suffering with "exhaustion" and not fully explained "illnesses", which made me wonder if he isn't a bit of delicate constitution. In the recent interview I refer to, he even uses the word "condition". Again, not something I can substantiate, just assumptions.

Yeah, I know what you mean. There was a tour mentioned in the Palacios book that Beck cut short because of some unspecified illness. And he was sick during the Lips tour (for two months, he said). I wonder about those things when I read them. I kind of doubt I'll ever know anything more about them, though.

Posted Image

#46 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

I did develop a theory, but as it is my theory with not much foundation, I won't post it here. I'll inbox you.

ot2t1.gif

#47 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

I must say that whatever people's opinion on Scientology, it baffles me - even annoys me a little - when people make derogatory comments about Beck's intelligence or personality without even knowing him. If someone met him and found him be an asshole fair enough, but when people call him an idiot simply for being a Scientologist, they're just bigots. Even more narrowminded is blocking out his music without giving it a chance because of his beliefs, beliefs that he keeps to himself, he's not out to preach or judge anyone, unlike many Bible bashers or the very people that judge him.

ot2t1.gif

#48 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

Though I must admit, this made me smile :)

Katie_Holmes_589951a.jpg

ot2t1.gif

#49 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

Katie_Holmes_589951a.jpg

Me too. :)

Posted Image

#50 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,170 posts
  • "I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever" ~ Kanye West

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

Katie_Holmes_589951a.jpg

lol

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#51 Dora Wow

Dora Wow

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 6,844 posts

• Current Mood:
    Nicotine and gravy

Hugh Masekela
  • no yes no!

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

I wonder what they think of Leah Rimini leaving the church?  Wasn't she a pal, or a model for Whitley Kros?  

Posted ImagePosted Image

[center]Je t'aime..................................................... moi non plus

#52 Dora Wow

Dora Wow

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 6,844 posts

• Current Mood:
    Nicotine and gravy

Hugh Masekela
  • no yes no!

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

I suspect numbers may be a bit inflated, though they do have members in various parts of the world. It is interesting to note that Scientology doesn't get recognition as a religion everywhere. It is still considered just a cult in many European countries; in some, like France, it's still vehemently opposed.

I reckon theres probably about a hundred thousand worldwide, if that.  It always seems to me to be too kooky a religion to catch on with the masses.  People who want to find religion usually want to go to a big church on sundays and light candles, sing, clap their hands, get into the mystic.  Scientologists don't do that, they go to a centre and get hooked up to machines and drink oil.   :astonished:  (?) (Well thats how I imagine it, maybe they don't. :Confused: )  Sure you could get all that at the gym?  

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,170 posts
  • "I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever" ~ Kanye West

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

Good on him if he did. I know quite a few smokers - heck, I'm married to one! - and it seems to be a really difficult thing to give up. For a singer it has a double impact. It really kills your voice. And I doubt he would be able to do what he does (or did) on stage, if he smoked. You need a lot of breathing power to sing and jump and dance like he does (or did).

I really quit smoking now after 30 years! March 2nd will be 6 months. My point is when you quit it, the craving NEVER goes away. I crave that fucking cigarette every day!

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#54 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

I really quit smoking now after 30 years! March 2nd will be 6 months. My point is when you quit it, the craving NEVER goes away. I crave that fucking cigarette every day!

Congratulations! Good that you can stick with it, even with the cravings. :)

Posted Image

#55 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

I wonder what they think of Leah Rimini leaving the church?  Wasn't she a pal, or a model for Whitley Kros?  

Hmm...did she model for WK? I don't remember. Anyway, I'd be curious to know what they think, too.

(Whatever happened to Whitley Kros, anyway? I haven't heard about any shows for a few years.)

I reckon theres probably about a hundred thousand worldwide, if that. 

The best guess (based on estimates from people who have left in recent years) is that it's closer to 50,000. 

Posted Image

#56 Dora Wow

Dora Wow

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 6,844 posts

• Current Mood:
    Nicotine and gravy

Hugh Masekela
  • no yes no!

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hmm...did she model for WK? I don't remember. Anyway, I'd be curious to know what they think, too.

(Whatever happened to Whitley Kros, anyway? I haven't heard about any shows for a few years.)

Whiley must have gone south with the recession maybe. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users