http://m.pitchfork.c...d-poetry-event/

#2 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

I might be wrong but I suspect this is why the rumored show in Poznan, Poland came to nothing :(

#3 Jmj/David/Me

Jmj/David/Me

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

That's possible.

I'm guessing that this was all organised pretty late on.

Would like to go but Dublin cost me a fortune !

#4 Spankmaster

Spankmaster

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

Got tickets for this one after a struggle with the website. Not amazing seats, but better than no seats at all!

#5 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Oh man! Friday morning I get a text from my friend: "Would you like to go to see Beck at the Barbican on Monday? I'm a member and I can get tickets in the presale now!"

Whaaaaa?! Yes, please!

Seems like she got decent seats... I'm going! :D

ot2t1.gif

#6 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:27 AM

AWESOME! Jealous of you, people :D

#7 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

Off to London in the morning to meet some friends ahead of the show on Monday. Can't wait! :lol:

ot2t1.gif

#8 Spankmaster

Spankmaster

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:07 AM

Really enjoyed this last night - some bits worked better than others, but it was a nice ensemble piece of work, I thought. Beck came out and opened with Waitin' For A Train - a really nice version, too. he was dressed in cowboy boots, Stetson hat, fringed black jacket and a cowboy shirt. 

During the poetry readings, Beck mostly sat right next to BJ Cole(!) slightly nudging him when it was time for him to add pedal steel, while the orchestra worked away in the background. Beck fiddled a little with a black box on a table - I wasn't entirely sure what that was adding, maybe some atmospherics, but then there was a dude off to the side with a laptop who did that, too. 

In between the first and second poetry readings, Beck did a lovely Country Down with some pedal steel from BJ Cole, and after the second poetry reading (one by Jemima Foxtrot, a performance poet who quite knowingly threw in the lines, "He's always touching my body/He's always on my computer," to a Milk & Honey melody), Beck played some brief electric blues guitar while three cowboys came on. Beck left, the cowboys stood and pretended to point at scenery passing by, as footage of trains (and filmed from trains was projected and the orchestra soundtracked it (this bit went on a bit too long).

After this: Thurston and someone else (either James Sedwards or Leafcutter John) came out with electric guitars and did a noise-off to more train footage. Took them a while to warm up I felt, starting with Speak To The Wild, but when they hit the feedback there was an awesome, unholy noise. 

Cue Beck back out in a Stetson and dark, fringed cowboy shirt (looking like the Sissyneck cover) and he did One Foot In The Grave, but with old blues lyrics - I can't recall the main line right now, but it felt like it was maybe an old Rev Gary Davis song that Beck took and turned into One Foot. Thurston and his mate played train-like chugs on the guitar to this. Then Beck left, came back on in normal shirt and blazer (third costume change!) and did a really lovely version of Wave with the orchestra. 

Of the poets, Simon Armitage was best, but he is excellent, so no surprises there. 

#9 hollowlog

hollowlog

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the report spank....

#10 Spankmaster

Spankmaster

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:48 AM

No worries - the Social show on Tuesday night was absolutely brilliant - just Beck, three acoustic guitars (one for blues slide), an electric, and Korg. Came on at 11, played till midnight - and it was bloody brilliant. 

Setlist was:

The Golden Age

Failed Rowboat [from audience request - Beck tried to start it three times and laughed that he couldn't remember it]

Lost Cause

Blackbird Chain

Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime

Gamma Ray [with Korg]

Song Reader talk [mostly reading through a lot of the 'Manly' song title on the back page of I forget what main song, including Hymns For Hymn. He cracked himself up, saying they mostly came up with these song titles in the final hour of putting the book together.]

No Expectations [on slide guitar]

Hollow Log

One Foot In The Grave

Country Down [I am loving the solo acoustic version he's done live]

Raspberry Beret [acoustic singalong]

Raspberry Beret [Korg reprise]

Blue Moon

More Song Reader: reading the music and hygiene piece out aloud

Loser [with Korg and electric guitar]

I am really hoping someone taped this, but I am guessing that's highly unlikely!

#11 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:38 AM

Wait, you went to that, too? :o

#12 Spankmaster

Spankmaster

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:46 AM

Sure did - I am a lucky man. 

#13 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

Took a couple of photos at the Barbican

11667404_10205966328131865_8828573440640

11219071_10205966328611877_2390949108916

We managed to speak to Thurston Moore at the end. Cool guy, really chilled. Took a photo with him. Unfortunately Beck left by a different exit and we missed him :(

ot2t1.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users