• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thegloaming

thegloaming

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:50 AM

Beck is slinging some rap for your summertime ears. That being said... I'm not too sure how I feel about this one.

Link to buy the song

http://shop.beck.com

#2 peko

peko

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

I like it. Thanks Beck.

#3 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

I know I jumped off the stewoo train after the dreams debacle but god damn. everything becks been involved with as of late has been getting progressively worse. "wow" is right. this is like if midnite vultures lacked any self awareness and also was super embarrassing to listen to. this is the same guy who made albums like one foot in the grave and odelay. wtf. "how do you do fellow kids" - beck

#4 angelospadowski

angelospadowski

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:06 AM

Good christ this song sucks.

I managed to listen to Dreams straight through at least twice.

I'll never listen to this one again.

Boggles my mind that the artist I've been following religiously since 1996, for more than half my life, is now churning out such garbage.

Especially considering we know for a damn FACT that for every album he's released in the last 20 or so years, there's shoeboxes full of albums worth of outtakes he rejected for one reason or another.

And THIS is what he decides to push??

#5 codered

codered

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't going "wow". This is just awful. It's almost like his new found friendship with T-swift has made it OK for him to create generic, radio friendly garbage.

We will always have Radiohead I guess.

#6 pigster

pigster

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

yeh.. for long time beck fans this + dreams is sounding remarkably transparent. flavour of the month style production and song writing all over it. doesn't sound like an upbeat pop "beck" track at all, just sounds like flavour of the month radio... 

#7 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts
  • Interests:playing with matches

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

It has some of that early freestyle flow. I am not sure how this is different from much of mellow gold or odelay. Dreams was lackluster, but I feel this song is back to true form.
Posted Image

#8 Midnite Vultures

Midnite Vultures

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:03 PM

Seems like most reviews are calling this a return to Midnite Vultures or Odelay....but this definitely a return to The Information.

#9 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:53 PM

it's not a return to anything. I wish it was a return to the information

#10 codered

codered

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

I agree it's better then Dreams. But if we could be honest with ourselves here just about everything post modern guilt, other then a hand full of tracks on Morning Phase and Defriended, have been watered down lyrically and not particularly interesting musically either.

A lot of what he has been releasing as of late has been so polished and slick with all the edges filed off and those edges r where the interesting bits were always found.

#11 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

Lol

I was expecting exactly this time of reaction on here.

ot2t1.gif

#12 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:50 AM

Incredible, I completely agree with nocomplaints. If it has come to this, Beck must be really doing something wrong.

#13 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

hey im a good person  ;)

in all seriousness though, ive just been feeling down about beck ever since modern guilt with the exception of morning phase for the most part. and I liked the record club and planned obsolescence stuff he did. I think everything he did from his first tapes all the way to the information was all really great and interesting, and I was obsessed with all of it. Idk what happened but beck seems lost or something now. like he's trying to be himself but he doesnt know what that is anymore. Thats just my take on it, im probably wrong though. Im just not feeling it at all. I want to though

#14 angelospadowski

angelospadowski

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:43 AM

I've listened to it all.   I listened to all of Beck's home made recordings that sounded like yelling in blown out speakers.

I bought the Nicotine and Gravy CD single...a song I didn't like, to get the exclusive song that I liked even less.  Yet I still listened to Zatyricon several times.

My point is....I've bought and listened to everything this guy has put out for over 20 years.

And this goddamn song Wow is so shitty it feels like Beck is personally insulting me.

I didn't care for Dreams much either, but at least that was listenable.  And now Up All Night has leaked and it's also shit. 

This new album is going to achieve something no Beck album has ever done;  I'm going to listen to it once and never listen to it again.   I hope there are at least one or two songs that don't blow donkey dick.

#15 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

Wow is a fantastic track. One of the most Beckish things Beck has done in recent times. It's like an update on Loser, it has many of the same ingredients: a refrain (in the form of the whistle which reminds of the slide guitar/sitar in Loser), surreal lyrics (Standing on your lawn doing jujitsu/Girl in a bikini with the Lamborghini shih tzu), lots of crazy details like the growling lion, the kids voices, the video games sounds, and the crescendo that culminates in the final chorus, picking up from were I Won't Be Long left off. In typical Beck style, it's a study of the kind of world we live in, what goes on at the moment, with special reference to social media (My demons on the cellphone to your demons /Nothing's either right or wrong/It's irrelevant ), and the instant culture (it's like wow... it's like right now...), but it's also an invitation to live in the real world, not just a digital one (It's your life/You gotta try to get it right /Look around, don't forget where you came from). I love this song, more than I did Dreams (which I also like, especially live).

I can't wait for the album!  :D

ot2t1.gif

#16 crawdad

crawdad

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, sleep, music

• Current Mood:
    Bzooty
  • All the toilets are overflowing

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

I'm with tropicalia. I absolutely love it, it's so fresh. I've never really heard anything like it. I don't know why, but it seems like alot of people expect or want him to make music in the same kind of style as he's done in the past and I just don't think that's Beck. It's unique like the rest of his music, thats part of what makes him so great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users