55 replies to this topic

#1 Satiricon

Satiricon

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Duncan e-mailed a friend in late 2006: [Beck] really, really tried to get away using going to NY to be in Alice Underground. He told me he wanted to leave the cult desperately, and this is what they do when someone knows that. She was referring here to her perception that the Church of Scientology had been harassing her and Blake.

From New Yorker Article

#2 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:00 AM

Duncan e-mailed a friend in late 2006: “[Beck] really, really tried to get away … using going to NY to be in Alice Underground.… He told me he wanted to leave the cult desperately, and this is what they do when someone knows that.” She was referring here to her perception that the Church of Scientology had been harassing her and Blake.

From New Yorker Article

Funny you should post that. I have been thinking about Duncan and Blake the past couple of days.
Posted Image

#3 Brazilian_Nightmares

Brazilian_Nightmares

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

i read the whole of that scientology report - it was pretty dark and one-sided i guess
i'm guess a lot of it could be fabrication and just a hate rant at scientology

....glad it doesnt make me think any less of his music

(cults are creepy, though - and this is most definitely a cult)

what i dont understand is... all of the Xenu thing - do they really believe that?
L Ron Hubbard was a science fiction author - it's completely bizarre.
They tried to turn emotion into noise...

#4 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

i read the whole of that scientology report - it was pretty dark and one-sided i guess

Which Scientology report? Do you mean that thing that was written specifically about Beck a few years ago?
Posted Image

#5 Brazilian_Nightmares

Brazilian_Nightmares

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Which Scientology report? Do you mean that thing that was written specifically about Beck a few years ago?

Yeah, it was quite long and aggressive - do we know who wrote it? It talks about Beck as if he were an endangered animal!
They tried to turn emotion into noise...

#6 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, it was quite long and aggressive - do we know who wrote it? It talks about Beck as if he were an endangered animal!

I know--sort of like "If you come upon Beck in the wild, do not make any sudden moves!"
Posted Image

#7 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,170 posts
  • "I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever" ~ Kanye West

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

I know--sort of like "If you come upon Beck in the wild, do not make any sudden moves!"

*runs up to Beck and tweeks his nipples then runs away :ph34r:

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#8 mellow goldfish

mellow goldfish

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

*runs up to Beck and tweeks his nipples then runs away :ph34r:

HAHAHAHA

That thing also scared me a couple of years ago. I was biting my nails with worry for him, but then I thought logically about it and realised it was highly biased and overdoing it. I think it was really unreasonable and offensive actually.
I think that "cult" could be applied to any organised religion at one time or another during their history. Scientology is a young faith, it's different and it scares people. It doesn't mean Beck is lost to the World...

I agree.

#9 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Scientology is a young faith, it's different and it scares people. It doesn't mean Beck is lost to the World...

I agree.

I agree that it scares people.
Posted Image

#10 tangerine

tangerine

Make Out City

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 9,756 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

and I know what you mean about being worried about Beck. I am a pro at worrying about people who are very remote from me and don't worry about me back, Beck not being a negligible target of my worries over the years.
Posted Image

#11 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

I am a pro at worrying about people who are very remote from me and don't worry about me back, Beck not being a negligible target of my worries over the years.

I know what you mean about that!
Posted Image

#12 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

Funny I should find this old thread, as only the other night I was reading the very same piece people are referencing. I think it was addressed to Fans and Journalists dealing with Beck (or something of that nature) and gave instructions on how to approach Beck in interviews. The impression I got was that the author didn't know Beck personally, but was forming his own judgement of the situation based on what he had read.

I don't really know what to think of Beck and Scientology. A religion, a cult, a sinister institution, a joke that got out of hand... I think it's probably all of those things. For what I read, once you're in, getting out is very hard and I feel for Beck as he was apparently born into it, sucked in before he could make a proper choice - at least it would seem. I also read that people who leave are often cut off by family and friends who are still in the cult which made me wonder how much bearing that would have on someone like Beck, whose whole family - parents, siblings, step-parents, wife, in-laws - are in the cult. Walking out doesn't really seem an option.

On the other hand, perhaps he actually finds comfort and help in whatever it is that Scientology has to offer and he's happy where he is.

At the end of the day, when it comes to beliefs, all organized religions have good sides and dark sides, it seems, and it's easy to paint every believer with the same brush, but how someone lives their life and treats others is what forms my opinion of people. So, yes, I have problems with Scientology, but it doesn't directly reflects on how I feel about Beck and his music; whatever his beliefs, he doesn't seem to hammer people over the head with them and he actually comes across as a decent human being.

Sorry if this has probably been debated several times already. I'm kind of late to this party!

ot2t1.gif

#13 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

I don't really know what to think of Beck and Scientology. A religion, a cult, a sinister institution, a joke that got out of hand... I think it's probably all of those things. For what I read, once you're in, getting out is very hard and I feel for Beck as he was apparently born into it, sucked in before he could make a proper choice - at least it would seem. I also read that people who leave are often cut off by family and friends who are still in the cult which made me wonder how much bearing that would have on someone like Beck, whose whole family - parents, siblings, step-parents, wife, in-laws - are in the cult. Walking out doesn't really seem an option.

Sorry if this has probably been debated several times already. I'm kind of late to this party!

You're right--it was debated quite a bit, a few years ago. It still pops up now and then.

It's terribly difficult to maintain contact with your family if you leave Scientology. It can be done, but you have to keep it very quiet that you've left. You can't say anything publicly against Scientology. You can't say anything negative about it to your family members who are still in it. If you do, they are supposed to cut off contact with you. So you avoid the subject. But at the same time, they will be under pressure from the CoS to try to get you back in. It really sucks.

BTW, Beck's mom and brother are reportedly no longer in. But his dad, stepsister, and stepmother are (and, of course, his wife and her family).

Posted Image

#14 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Interesting that his mum and brother have left and that it is public knowledge. I wonder how deep into it he actually is, if he may have left too and not saying anything for the sake of his wife and children. I thought it was interesting that in an interview where he talked about CoS, he referred to it as "they". You would expect someone who is in it to say "we". But I may read too much into it.

It's his business, at the end of the day, and as I said, he seems a nice person whatever his beliefs.

ot2t1.gif

#15 Adze

Adze

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

One of my teacher's apparently knew Al Hansen. The story I was told was that Al Hansen showed up to the Netherlands for a gallery opening and brought none of his works with him, and asked my teacher as well as other young artists (relatively) to go and collect cigarette butts for him which he turned into a sculpture. Apparently Al wasn't a big fan of his daughter being involved with Scientology.

If you're interested in finding out more about the hardships of leaving Scientology, look up Jenna Miscavige Hill.

As for people in it... I have to say that if they are not harming others and are happy, let them be. Unless the words come from someone's mouth, it's just hearsay. 

#16 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

It's not right to blame every scientologist for what goes on within the church. As with all religion - not all catholic priests are paedophiles, not all muslims are terrorists... most believers of whatever faith are ordinary decent people who get on with their every day lives and don't harm anyone. I'm sure the same can be said of scientologists. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't be critical of institutions and religious hierarchy when things are not transparent or plainly wrong. There is a sinister side to Scientology and its methods, and it's right that it should be brought to light. It's worrying that people feel trapped or persecuted if they decide to walk out. But of course, if people freely choose to believe, don't  harm others and are happy, then it's their business.

ot2t1.gif

#17 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

I wonder how deep into it he actually is, if he may have left too and not saying anything for the sake of his wife and children. I thought it was interesting that in an interview where he talked about CoS, he referred to it as "they". You would expect someone who is in it to say "we". But I may read too much into it.

I personally don't believe he's left. He could not stay with Marissa if he had. It's just not done--unless she's left too. I haven't seen any sign that either of them have.

Now, some people don't officially leave but become more disenchanted and participate less. It's possible he could be in that group, but again, that's just speculation without any basis.

Edited by Candy with Strangers, 04 April 2014 - 12:39 PM.
Discretionary snip

Posted Image

#18 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

It's not right to blame every scientologist for what goes on within the church. As with all religion - not all catholic priests are paedophiles, not all muslims are terrorists... most believers of whatever faith are ordinary decent people who get on with their every day lives and don't harm anyone. I'm sure the same can be said of scientologists. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't be critical of institutions and religious hierarchy when things are not transparent or plainly wrong. There is a sinister side to Scientology and its methods, and it's right that it should be brought to light. It's worrying that people feel trapped or persecuted if they decide to walk out. But of course, if people freely choose to believe, don't  harm others and are happy, then it's their business.

Yeah, this is true. It seems that the most serious abuses in Scientology are at the top and also in the part of the CoS called the Sea Org. I would never blame all Scientologists for that stuff.  

Posted Image

#19 Adze

Adze

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

Good ol' Sea Org.... It's like they were going for a sinister band of supervillains name.

#20 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

He did refer to it all as a "philosophy" rather than a religion, so maybe he's not following too strictly. But again, that's just an assumption.

It's probably not my place to say, but as a fan I can't help caring for those I follow and I really hope he's happy and in a good frame of mind. He seems to be and that's the main thing, whether he's in, out or half-hearted.

ot2t1.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users