#21 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts
  • Interests:playing with matches

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:14 PM

I have a hard time writing him off based on 1 song and an association with a pop artist. Seems rather extreme. Over the last few years, he has put out morning phase and song reader, gimme/defriended/I won't be long, produced malkmus/moore/gainsbourg/lidell, put out a Philip glass remix album, did that crazy Harry partch piece, participated in station to station, performed bowie sound and vision in style, etc. I would say that is far beyond the creative output of many artists and in many different realms. Is there a reason why pop music is for some reason simply too hard to swallow? How is dreams different from the pop explosion of E-pro? Why not have the same reaction to hobnobbing with the likes of Philip glass? Or Sia? Or contributing to a Starbucks compilation? Or playing with Willie Nelson? Or Marianne Faithful?
Posted Image

#22 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts
  • "I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever" ~ Kanye West

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:44 PM

So it's over: What was the song of the summer?! The "Get Lucky" or "Pumped Up Kicks" of 2015?! Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, there really hasn't been one, but Beck's "Dreams" might qualify now! It jumps to the top at last for the final week of summer and is set to be inducted to the Chart Show Hall of Fame.

http://www.thecurren...9/09/chart-show

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#23 codered

codered

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

This is weeks late but did someone seriously follow up my last post with T-Swift is a respectable artist 😀. My eleven year old niece thinks so too.

As for beck, perhaps we r judging the guy a little harshly but try to understand that most of us on this forum place beck up there with Dylan, Neil Young, the Beatles, true artists. I mean I highly doubt Thom Yorke is gonna be duetting "creep" if T-Swifts hits London.

#24 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:21 PM

"I remember when I was 20 and thinking about all the amazing musicians who come out and do a few great things, and then something happens," Beck says. "It's like they go through a door of success and it changes them. The thing I wondered was whether they just burn out or do they get distracted by the success? My dream was to go through that door and still do interesting things."

What is wrong with Taylor Swift? She's not my cup of tea, but she's a respectable performer 

“Well, my huge dream in this whole thing, which I was told many times was an unrealistic… I was told many times to keep my expectations in check, so I did. But the ultimate dream was, ‘Can we ring that bell? Can we get a million; can we do this for the third time?’ Because we were all very well aware that if we sold a million records this time, it would be the only time in history that someone had done that three times. That was the most insane thing, when we got the first hint that we might end up actually getting to do it. And then my second biggest hope was, ‘Hey, wouldn’t it be insane if we topped what we did with Red?’ And then the fans ended up making that happen, so it’s been just kind of like a dream scenario all the way around. And I just feel so lucky that people seem to understand what I was doing with this album and loved the new direction of it.”— Taylor Swift talking about 1989’s first week sales

I just really like seeing these two quotes together.  

#25 harnessdeadhorses

harnessdeadhorses

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

I don't know why anyone who is a member of this board is hating on this song. I don't care about TS and whether her precocious business savvy is diabolical or simply inevitable in today's age. I know for a fact that this song is the jam and whether it's part of an album or just an orphan like "Timebomb" I really dig it. Beck can sing with whoever he wants to. The club of people wronged by Kanye at award shows is very small.

#26 vaaaska

vaaaska

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

i'm guessing that one of the things that was appealing about beck to a lot of you in the first place was that he was able to express himself in interesting ways yet was still accessible for a lot of people. that his lyrics were abstract yet understandable. that he used interesting imagery for his album artwork and his performances and his music videos ect. 

I mean basically he was an artist that, had not been for loser, probably would have remained in the underground scenes and still wouldve been doing the same kinds of the things that he did with mainstream attention. 

which is why it's disappointing he's writing songs like "dreams" that have completely bland lyrics, bland title, the type of hook you should be overly familiar with.. and he performs with taylor swift. 

all I can think about is this quote:

"I remember when I was 20 and thinking about all the amazing musicians who come out and do a few great things, and then something happens," Beck says. "It's like they go through a door of success and it changes them. The thing I wondered was whether they just burn out or do they get distracted by the success? My dream was to go through that door and still do interesting things."

maybe that fate is unavoidable

omg. grow up? you probably listen to straight edge and imagine it means something - to your mom.

The snipers are passed out in the bushes again.

#27 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

haha what. its funny how you managed to tell me to grow up and be incredibly immature in the same sentence

#28 angelospadowski

angelospadowski

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:32 AM

I've listened to this song twice.  I tried to like it but I didn't.  I love that even after more than 20 years Beck is still doing his thing and making all kinds of music, but sometimes I just don't care for it and sometimes I absolutely love it.  This is one of those rare cases where I didn't really like it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users