• Interests:Long walks on the beach...

• Current Mood:
    groovy and far out

• What I Am Listening To:
    gbv

• Wanted Beck Items:
    one foot in the grave: part 2.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

I realize that I am entirely alone in this viewpoint, but when Beck actually attempts to emote, such as on "Sea Change" or "Morning Phase", and in a live setting, I find his voice to be rather grating.  It is like a deep nasal drone.  Interestingly, his older talk-sing songs are ones that I find much more musically satisfying from a vocal standpoint, think "Cyanide Breath-mint" from "One Foot in the Grave" or "Pay No Mind (Snoozer)" from "Mellow Gold".  God bless all you folks.

unicorns are pretty cool, actually.

#2 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

when I first heard sea change I didn't like it at all and it was almost entirely because of his vocals. they sounded forced and.. commercial? he practically became an entirely new song writer. prior to sea change his songs, ironically, had more of an identifiable and relatable quality to them. I dont think I can really connect with a song like "lonesome tears" still even if I made a real effort to. Having said that though, even if I cant really get into the feeling that he was trying to convey with these songs, I had grown to like them. I just dont feel like im really putting my hand on the wheel and letting the golden age begin. and honestly I feel like what I mostly like about the songs really all come down to the production.

but yeah beck seems to think that was his greatest accomplishment or something considering hes been trying to emulate sea change ever since just in different ways. Guero and the information were albums I could connect with a lot more, and morning phase is probably the best follow up to sea change anyone could reasonably hope for (I dont know if anyone was actively waiting for a follow up to sea change though). So even if my favorite albums of his are one foot in the grave and odelay, the albums from the past decade are definitely ones Ive enjoyed as well. just for different reasons. which is good I think because if Beck was doing what I think most people wanted him to do, and revert back to the folk guitar guy jumping around with a leafblower, thatd get so old so quick. I dont think it ever got old for anyone though because not long after everyone started listening to him he ditched that persona.

#3 tebe2k

tebe2k

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Interests:I like things that I understand and I seek to understand things I don't like

• Current Mood:
    Inside Out

The Information

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Nausea
  • My name is Steven and I am dancing in your minds

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

Beck doesn't think beck is a great vocalist from what I've read in interviews. He says he knows what he's capable of, works with that, and is kind of making it up/isn't quite trained. Though he's often hard on himself in terms of praise

have you ever let a color coordinated cowboy magician sit on your lap

Steve, The Amazing

#4 angelospadowski

angelospadowski

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:55 PM

I vaguely recall him saying he took voice lessons back in 97 or 98 or so.  That's why ever since Mutations his style is vastly different.  Even when he sings the old stuff from One Foot, he sings them in the newer "polished" style.

I don't mind...I think he's great either way.  But I remember my friend cringing at Mutations cause he said he hated the singing and he didn't even sound like Beck anymore.

#5 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

I love his voice. It's warm and very expressive. But then Sea Change is my favourite album of his, the one that really made me fall in love with his music on another level :)

That said, I liked his voice pre-Sea Change too. I honestly think his voice changed with age though. Everyone's voice gets lower as they get older. The reason why even accomplished singers can't hit the same notes they could hit when younger, often have to change old songs to a lower key. Beck hit puberty at 30 ha ha

ot2t1.gif

#6 boscofuller

boscofuller

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach...

• Current Mood:
    groovy and far out

gbv

• Wanted Beck Items:
    one foot in the grave: part 2.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:08 AM

On a much kinder note, his acoustic guitar playing has generally improved.

unicorns are pretty cool, actually.

#7 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

I have to say that very recently I had two friends who are not fans and got to listen to Sea Change on my recommendation and both of them, without me prompting them, commented on how pleasant and expressive his voice is, something that, having only been familiar with Loser and a few tracks from Odelay, they weren't expecting. They thought he's a very good singer. True story.

ot2t1.gif

#8 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

And let's not forget his 17 octave vocal range :lol:

ot2t1.gif

#9 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

my mom thinks Beck has nice voice, so this pretty much settles the case

#10 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts
  • "I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever" ~ Kanye West

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

And let's not forget his 17 octave vocal range :lol:

18 if you listen to Debra lol JK =D

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#11 vaaaska

vaaaska

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

i can't stand any band that doesn't have Prince as the frontman.

The snipers are passed out in the bushes again.

#12 Dora Wow

Dora Wow

Beck's Personal Food Taster

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts
  • Interests:Horses, dogs, squirrels, cats, Beck, Marshmallows, chocolate mice

• Current Mood:
    Nicotine and gravy

Hugh Masekela
  • no yes no!

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

I like his voice but I don't think it is his stongest instrument.  Would the chairs on The Voice tv show turn around for Beck?    

Posted ImagePosted Image

[center]Je t'aime..................................................... moi non plus

#13 GramsGirl

GramsGirl

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:30 AM

He has a beautiful voice in my opinion. Warm and relaxing. But I 

respect your view xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users