#41 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

http://diffuser.fm/b...-collaboration/

ot2t1.gif

#42 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:16 AM

Predicting another Grammy without the status of a shocker. 

#43 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

so the new album is "35-70% done"

will it be ready before summer?

or were his Beck senses tingling before the Grammys and he dedided to do more Morning Phase/Greatest Hits gigs in summer?

is the Pharrell collab really for the upcoming album, or maybe it's for something completely different?

i wanna know!

#44 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

Slightly off topic, but as we mentioned "Blurred Lines"...

http://variety.com/2...ily-1201450117/

ot2t1.gif

#45 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:33 AM

Ouch. That's lots of cash.

Thicke sounds like a real d-bag. Pharrell will be fine, but Thicke is officially finished now.

#46 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

Ouch. That's lots of cash.

Thicke sounds like a real d-bag. Pharrell will be fine, but Thicke is officially finished now.

He's such a sleaze-bag. He's been playing down his role in writing the song, sayng he was wasted and can't remember contributing much to it, and that Pharrell wrote it, essentially. He was happy to share the credit when the song was raking it, though. His personality and the fact that his solo album has been a giant flop already put him on a downwards trajectory and this hopefully will seal his fate. Personally, I won't miss him.

ot2t1.gif

#47 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

but back to the topic, all quiet on the Beck front.

how did you guys manage between 'Modern Guilt' and 'Morning Phase'?

arrrghh, I need something, I want to plan my options to see him in summer.

#48 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

It's surprising though how much music he put out between Modern Guilt and Morning Phase, when you look back. Record Club alone kept things going for some time. Charlotte Gainsbourg's album was effectively a Beck album. There were stand alone singles - with Third Man Records, on his own label - film soundtracks, tribute compilations, collaborations, video games, live music - including a few songs from Song Reader and even unreleased songs, like the tracks he wrote for Station to Station... 

ot2t1.gif

#49 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

blurred lines is like a rapist anthem

#50 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

blurred lines is like a rapist anthem

that's why i listen to Word Crimes instead :D

#51 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

Record Club alone kept things going for some time. Charlotte Gainsbourg's album was effectively a Beck album.

Record Club made me realise that Leonard Cohen is more than this elderly fellow singing In My Secret Life on every commercial radio station, and I will be always grateful to Beck and friends for that.

*listens to RC's Songs of Leonard Cohen*

"Hey, I love it, let's check the original"

*listens to the original thing*

"Holy hell, this is incredible!"

*listens for a couple of months more*

"I don't even remember RC's version now, let's see"

*checks out RC's Master Song*

"WHAT. THE. FUCK."

*a moment later*

"It's kinda fun"

:D

#52 Lazer Vizaginal Rejuvenation

Lazer Vizaginal Rejuvenation

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Put your feelings about Thicke aside, this verdict is not good news.  If Aphrodite's Child was suing Beck for "Chemtrails", the feeling in here would be quite different.  Again, this verdict is not a good thing.

Posted Image

#53 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

It was Thicke and Williams that sued the Marvin family, though, for claiming that the song sounded like "Give It Up". Look at the way Sam Smith dealt with Tom Petty. Petty made the alligation, Smith admitted that there were similarities between the songs and added Petty to the song credits, Petty accepted that the similarities had been accidental. Amicable ending to the story.

ot2t1.gif

#54 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

No that mis-states the procedure and accusations.  Simply, Thicke & Pharrell sued to preemptively protect themselves from being sued.  But the Court turned that down, and so Gaye ended up suing them for infringement.

I don't think this will lead to the slippery slope of horror everyone is saying though.  It was a jury trial and those don't have the precedent as if a judge ruled they'd copied Gaye.  Also lots of big names (George Harrison) have lost similar accusations and the death of creativity never ensued.

whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

I must say the similarities between the two songs - whether accidental or not - are striking.

ot2t1.gif

#56 red90

red90

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

It all boils down to whether people gonna sue. Artists will always borrow from each other, wittingly or not. It reminds me of the point Brett Gaylor made in his RIP: A Remix Manifesto movie:

So, yeah, there's nothing new in "stealing" tracks.

#57 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

Not to be cinycal, but people tend to make alligation or sue more easily when songs are huge hits and there are big sumes of money involved... I would bet that if "Blurred Line" had been a flop or even a minor hit, people would not have bothered with it :P

ot2t1.gif

#58 Lazer Vizaginal Rejuvenation

Lazer Vizaginal Rejuvenation

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

I don't think this will lead to the slippery slope of horror everyone is saying though.  It was a jury trial and those don't have the precedent as if a judge ruled they'd copied Gaye.  Also lots of big names (George Harrison) have lost similar accusations and the death of creativity never ensued.

I agree with you, but I'm not afraid of a slippery slope or death of creativity per se, what I'm more afraid of is the influx of more similar suits.  I don't think we will see art suffer, but such a high profile case surely has to influence others to try the same thing.  

Posted Image

#59 vaaaska

vaaaska

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

Pre-emptively suing so they don't get sued? Ah, sounds like they knew they were going to get sued so they sued. Lawsuits!

A legal strategy is a legal strategy no matter what - Thicke's team acted like idiots.

If Thicke had a brain, he would now sue his attorneys. Or maybe they should pre-emptively sue themselves.

The snipers are passed out in the bushes again.

#60 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

If Thicke had a brain

:hysterical:

ot2t1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users