nitemarehippiedude

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:music,music,oh and music

• Current Mood:
    euphoric

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

..so im surprised that the song 'evil things' that was recorded for ,and even included in the original morning phase tracklist hasnt surfaced in some form yet?. although i noticed someone(maby from here) recently uploaded a pretty good quality live verion on youtube ,from one of the shows in the past year and sounds amazing.   ..the studio version definately needs to be unleashed 

#2 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts
  • "I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever" ~ Kanye West

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

I think "Evil Things" Is a old song by Beck but not sure. I know Morning Phase was built from the guys (band) being together again and that is how the songs became. It was recorded for Morning Phase? I did not know that o.O

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#3 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

Yeah, according to almost a ghost, it was first played back in 2002 and was recorded as a demo for Sea Change; it then resurfaced live last year and might have perhaps inspired him to work on Morning Phase. It was supposed to be on the album and was included in previews for reviewers, but left out in the end.

One of the drawbacks of the loss of the single. Artists used to release interesting songs that didn't make the cut for albums as B-sides. Then came the bonus track at the end of CDs... now, with downloads, they don't seem to bother as much with all that.

I was thinking that the other day, playing (for the nth time) the "Heart is a Drum" video. In the past, that would have been "the new single". But now every track on the album is a "single", as people can purchase any song they like individually. So, video, yes, but nothing more than a "download from the album".

ot2t1.gif

#4 angelospadowski

angelospadowski

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

It's basically the only thing I keep looking for as far as Beck news these days.

We got the album already.  He's playing live shows, but nowhere near me.

It was on the tracklist....he resurrected it live after over a decade...it had to have been recorded...it's in the can somewhere.  I just hope it doesn't get lost like so many of his other gems.

I'm hoping it'll turn up on a soundtrack or something....or hell...just leak the damn thing.   It's way too good to stay buried.

#5 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired
  • Im just gonna lose control for about 15 minutes or so, then Im gonna be cool for the rest of the night.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:09 AM

Perhaps it will go the same way as Ship in a Bottle and be included in some Japanese issue, or something like that...

ot2t1.gif

#6 angelospadowski

angelospadowski

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

Japanese issue of Morning Phase already happened....had no extras.

#7 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,170 posts
  • "I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever" ~ Kanye West

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

well he still releasing singles so maybe we will get lucky with a b-side still. Remember he released O Menina B-Side as a single so you never know.

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#8 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

It would be his first album without a b-side or a bonus track.

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#9 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

Japanese issue of Morning Phase already happened....had no extras.

yes but same with MoGu then he brought us the limited zucca edition after the standard japan bonus track release. never know but unlikely.

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#10 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

well he still releasing singles so maybe we will get lucky with a b-side still. Remember he released O Menina B-Side as a single so you never know.

Maybe, though with Blue Moon and Heart Is A Drum "released" as leading songs but not singles as such, it doesn't look like he's going to bother. We can hope, though. Would be nice to have some extra tracks as b-sides.

ot2t1.gif

#11 paul_guyet

paul_guyet

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Music, writing, creating.

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Rococo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

I remember a while ago, there was a link to a "deluxe" version of Morning Phase on...German Amazon?

And nothing ever happened.

Maybe they'll do a Bonfire Blondes EP thing.

BIZAGITRONICON XMAX

#12 tebe2k

tebe2k

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Interests:I like things that I understand and I seek to understand things I don't like

• Current Mood:
    Inside Out

• What I Am Listening To:
    The Information

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Nausea
  • My name is Steven and I am dancing in your minds

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Maybe It Will Make The Cut Of Next Year's Album

have you ever let a color coordinated cowboy magician sit on your lap

Steve, The Amazing

#13 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:02 AM

The song was released with the promo album and some people have it, not me, unfortunately. 

#14 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

The song was released with the promo album and some people have it, not me, unfortunately. 

Where did you see that info?

Telegram Sam
You are my main man

#15 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Well remember the previews, where they mention Evil Things (and the different tracklist)? Also seacaptain said that he knows who has it. I bet some journalists have it, but can't share as it might be marked. And if it gets out it might ruin their career. 

#16 tropicalia

tropicalia

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

• Current Mood:
    Inspired

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Things find a way to leak all the time... give it time.

ot2t1.gif

#17 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yea, Dr. F has what happened right.  Some journalists were given streams of the album early to review.  "Evil Things" was part of that stream (and thus, some reviews).  

Though I have not heard of there being promo discs with it; I think most all reviews were done by stream at that point so there's probably no legit hard copies floating around.  (Maybe in a very tight inner circle though.)

Somewhere after that point it got lopped off the album (Beck said he was brutal with his cuts for the album, I think he meant "Evil Things" for sure).  

Anyway, at least one of those journalists who I know did rip the stream, but odds are it was watermarked so he can't share the rip wide without getting caught and destroying trust.

It took 10 years for Beck to record it, so maybe in 10 more years he'll release it...

whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 unheard78

unheard78

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:music, books, games, movies, abandoned buildings, the unknown, dogs, hip-hop, drums, noise, zombies, yada yada

• Current Mood:
    not sure. the mood ring says I'm dead.

• Wanted Beck Items:
    unmastered and unreleased recordings
  • text text scrolling text

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm sure it will show up eventually. We keep hearing rumblings of a rarities collection or box set, and if it's good enough I'm sure it'll make the cut. Wouldn't be surprised if Beck eventually teams with Jack White for a Third Man series of rarities, though I'm not really down with the "so rare only fifteen people have a copy" style releases. Give the people what they want, don't make us hurt. Beck doesn't seem to be into that, which is cool.

#19 angelospadowski

angelospadowski

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

The amount of stuff we know about that remains unheard is just staggering though.  He's so prolific, but once he's moved on, he's moved on, and he doesn't want anyone to hear it.

My holy grails would be the scrapped 1995 album of which we only got "Brother", "Ramshackle," and "Feather in Your Cap 2"......can you imagine a whole album that haunting and beautiful??

And of course I just about plotzed when he released all those unheard leftovers from OFITG.....I never ever thought that would see the light of day!!  But guess what?  There's another whole album's worth of it!!  Good god, release this shit already, PLEASE!!

And how could we ever forget "Almost a Ghost?"   And the other songs from the sessions that eventually became the 12" single releases last year?  Leftover Scott Pilgrim shit??  Proper versions of "Cities" and the video game stuff??  And the complete Nashville sessions??  And those incredible beck.com tracks from 2005....surely there are more of those??

But one amazing thing about Beck is that he's stayed so consistent over these last two decades plus.  So many artists crap out around their 4th album...just plain run out of ideas or things to say.  With the exception of "The Information" and that's just my own personal opinion, please don't get your panties in a twist, he's stayed so fresh and vital with each new release.  He doesn't sound stale or like he's phoning it in and he's still experimenting.  Still capable of making amazing music after all these years.....just wish he'd open the vaults and let us hear ALL of it!!

#20 nitemarehippiedude

nitemarehippiedude

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:music,music,oh and music

• Current Mood:
    euphoric

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

definately! ,its fair to say i cant think of one  other music artist ,who

has sooooo much much unheard ,finished ,and im sure amazing material..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users