• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#1 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:00 AM

well... not sure if it's #5 exactly yet, but sounds like it

http://www3.timeoutn...thurston-moore/

Now comes word that the chameleonic artist recently teamed-up with beloved local don’t-call-it-post-rock quintet Tortoise, who dropped in at Beck’s place in Los Angeles last weekend on break from a run of West Coast dates. If that weren’t enough of a teaser, Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore also happened to be in the neighborhood and joined in the fun. I put in a call to Tortoise guitarist/bassist Douglas McCombs, who described the session as a “broad spectrum of music that was sort of appropriate.” McCombs wasn’t sure when the session would be posted to Beck’s site, but our ears are buzzing just thinking about it. We’re hoping some videos surface on Beck’s Vimeo channel, too.
whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 pigster

pigster

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

oh wow sounds awesome.

#3 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Beck and dialectical materialism

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket
  • hirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlego

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

Ooh wonder what record they'll pick. :Hmm: If it's a record club that is

#4 ciel

ciel

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:´.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

so awesome. only record club edition i've looked forward to so far

#5 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

pitchfork caught on to this now

http://pitchfork.com...xt-record-club/

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,700 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

pitchfork caught on to this now

http://pitchfork.com...xt-record-club/

Yeah, but they're just reporting what Time Out said. I'm eager for more details!
Posted Image

#7 Brazilian_Nightmares

Brazilian_Nightmares

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

Tortoise and Thurston? My my, Beck REALLY does have the coolest connections in the music business - I'm gonna go for an old record again - some Revolver wouldn't go amiss?

Loving all these collaborations he's doing, but I am so hungry for a BRAND NEW BECK ALBUM
They tried to turn emotion into noise...

#8 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
  • Interests:playing with matches

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

my bet is on Captain Beefheart "Trout Mask Replica," although I wouldn't be surprised to see some John Cage or Joni Mitchell pop up as they are mutual influences on sonic youth and beck

....that is, if this was a record club collaboration and not something else entirely.
Posted Image

#9 Delta

Delta

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

my bet is on Captain Beefheart "Trout Mask Replica," although I wouldn't be surprised to see some John Cage or Joni Mitchell pop up as they are mutual influences on sonic youth and beck

....that is, if this was a record club collaboration and not something else entirely.

diplo wasnt mentioned which gives a slight chance that diplo was working on an album with bek.

#10 kanda

kanda

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

yea I was thinking something along the line of conceptual nature- john cage-y also, but perhaps not.... I'd like to see some pussy galorish type noise rock stuff though that would be some goodness~

#11 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

• What I Am Listening To:
    Take It Over
  • Citizen Beck, expound on your freak-like manner

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

T-Rex Marc Bolan album would be awesome!

#12 MidnightVulture

MidnightVulture

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Que?

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:59 AM

Judging by the recording-to-broadcasting timetable so far, I reckon this is more likely to be RC 6 or 7.
Posted Image

#13 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

that's what i thought too, but they actually recorded the INXS one just a few weeks before starting it up online.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 kanda

kanda

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

unless perhaps beck did two quick sessions- perhaps one with diplo and is planning another with Moore and co.

#15 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thurston said this on his Facebook, when someone was trying to guess what album they did:

"you have nooo idea....ha! let me just say : you will never guess...and when you find out: you will never forgive"

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 tandem-felix

tandem-felix

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

• Current Mood:
    I got the TB blues

• What I Am Listening To:
    Slowdive - Souvlaki

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His clothes
    His boots
    His motorcycle
  • I'm fuckin' up with the good stuff, keep my hands so tanned.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

Thurston said this on his Facebook, when someone was trying to guess what album they did:

"you have nooo idea....ha! let me just say : you will never guess...and when you find out: you will never forgive"

link?

#17 Lams

Lams

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

forgive??? i'm betting on... britney spears. or the black eyed peas

#18 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
  • Interests:playing with matches

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

forgive??? i'm betting on... britney spears. or the black eyed peas

there are so many options here of what could be unforgivable. i would love to see Hansen cover Hanson. or maybe this will be the infamously rumored and jested about Ace of Base cover. And to pick a modern artist, my vote it on Lady Gaga. There is something terrifying about Thurston doing anything that pertains to Gaga.
Posted Image

#19 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

for more context, one of his friends was like "i hope it's The Beatles' Revolver!" and that was his response.

um, just search for Thurston Moore and you can look at his wall. i just friend requested him, though i kind of get the sense it's sort of a personal page and not necessarily for fans (a lot of known musicians are his friends on there). we'll see though. but like i said, the wall is public anyway.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Beck and dialectical materialism

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket
  • hirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlego