• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,693 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

He's been recording at Beck's studio:

Posted on Thu, Dec. 2, 2010

Dan Gross: Harpist Mary Lattimore is back from the West Coast

By Dan Gross
Philadelphia Daily News

FISHTOWN HARPIST Mary Lattimore is just back from Los Angeles, where she recorded on Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore's solo album.

They recorded at Beck's house in Malibu. Lattimore, Moore and violinist Samara Lubelski stayed nearby at the home of Mike D. from the Beastie Boys.

Lattimore and Lubelski perform with Moore and Bill Nace Dec. 18 at the First Unitarian Church (2125 Chestnut). Tickets available at R5Productions.com.

Lattimore, 30, has been quite busy recording lately. She recently played on a few new songs by Meg Baird, who plays Dec. 8 with Bert Jansch at Johnny Brenda's (Frankford & Girard), and also contributed to Kurt Vile's album due in March.

Lattimore said she had the parts written for Moore's record. "But Beck had good ideas that enhanced them, so it was a true collaboration in the end." She said Moore "was the coolest to work with and gave Samara and me loads of freedom and trusted where we were going with his songs."

Posted Image

#2 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,693 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

He's been recording at Beck's studio:

Posted on Thu, Dec. 2, 2010

Dan Gross: Harpist Mary Lattimore is back from the West Coast

By Dan Gross
Philadelphia Daily News

FISHTOWN HARPIST Mary Lattimore is just back from Los Angeles, where she recorded on Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore's solo album.

They recorded at Beck's house in Malibu. Lattimore, Moore and violinist Samara Lubelski stayed nearby at the home of Mike D. from the Beastie Boys.

Lattimore and Lubelski perform with Moore and Bill Nace Dec. 18 at the First Unitarian Church (2125 Chestnut). Tickets available at R5Productions.com.

Lattimore, 30, has been quite busy recording lately. She recently played on a few new songs by Meg Baird, who plays Dec. 8 with Bert Jansch at Johnny Brenda's (Frankford & Girard), and also contributed to Kurt Vile's album due in March.

Lattimore said she had the parts written for Moore's record. "But Beck had good ideas that enhanced them, so it was a true collaboration in the end." She said Moore "was the coolest to work with and gave Samara and me loads of freedom and trusted where we were going with his songs."

http://www.philly.co...West_Coast.html
Posted Image

#3 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Beck and dialectical materialism

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket
  • hirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlego

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:06 AM

this is wonderful news :awub:

#4 Sissyneck361

Sissyneck361

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Beck and playing drums... its what I do
  • I'm the enchanting wizard of rythm

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

hell yes!
I live in worlds that your desires could never fathom

Posted Image

#5 MidnightVulture

MidnightVulture

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Que?

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

It's nice to see Beck accommodating the projects of other artists I'm fond of (I just wish he'd do some stuff of his own).
Posted Image

#6 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

Thurston Moore talked a little bit more about the album in an interview:

How’s your upcoming Matador album coming along?

It’s called Benediction, recorded in Southern California at Beck’s home studio with him producing. Beck sings and plays a little bit on it. Samara and Mary both play on it quite extensively and very, very beautifully. Beck really put them through the paces.

http://www.philadelp.../111859229.html
whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 kanda

kanda

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

a friend of mine from NY is doing a video box set for sonic youth. I should ask him if its going to be released in conjunction with the new album. I think they are shooting in LA at present from what I have heard, so maybe there might be some beck appearances in it too!?!?! I think its a retrospective though... hmm

#8 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,693 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

a friend of mine from NY is doing a video box set for sonic youth. I should ask him if its going to be released in conjunction with the new album. I think they are shooting in LA at present from what I have heard, so maybe there might be some beck appearances in it too!?!?! I think its a retrospective though... hmm

Oh, cool. I mean, it sounds like a cool project for your friend to be involved in.
Posted Image

#9 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Interests:playing with matches

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

pitchfork picked up the story: link
Posted Image

#10 denholm123

denholm123

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

"When Thurston [Moore] was around for the Yanni record, I wanted him to play some guitar, but he just had that one day. Next time."

Maybe Beck wanted Thurston to play guitar bad enough that he delayed the album. Now that Beck has imprisoned him in his studio he can get him to do it and we can get a new Beck album. And a Thurston Moore album too, of course!

#11 gpsippy

gpsippy

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

from sonicyouth.com:

THURSTON MOORE: DEMOLISHED THOUGHTS

Matador Records will release a solo songs record on Matador Records later this year. The record is called 'Demolished Thoughts' and is produced by Beck. It features Mary Lattimore and Samara Lubelski. More info to come.

#12 deborah

deborah

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

DEMOLISHED THOUGHTS

Sounds like a rejected beck.com section name. :ThumbUp:

But for real this is pretty exciting. I've been listening to IRM the past couple of days (inspired by having had my very own first MRI ever) and am amazed all over again at how dominant Beck's sound is on it. Interesting to ponder what the balance will be on this one.

#13 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,693 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

DEMOLISHED THOUGHTS

But for real this is pretty exciting. I've been listening to IRM the past couple of days (inspired by having had my very own first MRI ever) and am amazed all over again at how dominant Beck's sound is on it. Interesting to ponder what the balance will be on this one.

I suspect it will be less than half as much of Beck's sound.
Posted Image

#14 kanda

kanda

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

DEMOLISHED THOUGHTS

I suspect it will be less than half as much of Beck's sound.

Yea I think thurston is pretty involved with production and his own sound, They probably bounced a ton of ideas off of eachother, but overall I suspect it will be more of a "moore" album than a beck one.

#15 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Posted Image

pitchfork has the cover and the release date is set for May 24!

#16 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Nice, Joey is on it too. ^_^

#17 PirateFetus

PirateFetus

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Anime, noise, Video games, random japanese things, etc.
  • na na, na na na na naaa

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

Beck.com has posted some more info as well.

Looks like it was recorded in LA and Northampton, MA... I go to school in the next town over from Northampton! I wonder if Beck was there visiting Thurston at some point.. Thurston and Kim came into the movie theater I work at and it was really weird because there were two people during the round who I kind of thought to myself "That guys looks like Thurston Moore..." but then once the round ended I had forgotten about it. Then at the end when everyone was leaving one of my coworkers pointed out "That over there is Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon." and I was like "!!!!" also, funnily enough, I was wearing a Beck shirt!
Check out my new album by clicking here: "MAX MILLER Performs BECK HANSEN's Song Reader"

20 songs, written by Beck. Interpreted and recorded by Max.

Stream or download for free. Spread the word. And most importantly- Enjoy the music!

www.MaxMillerMakesMusic.com

my Twitter page

#18 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:55 AM

cool story, bro! :D

#19 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Make Out City

• Admin
  • 9,040 posts

• What I Am Listening To:
    Take It Over
  • Citizen Beck, expound on your freak-like manner

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Nice, Joey is on it too. ^_^

Nice! I met a friend of Joey at the club I work a couple years ago. Joey was originally from Minneapolis, then moved to Los Angeles. What a awesome drummer! I can not wait to hear this album. But can not wait to hear a new Beck album. Maybe even produced by Beck???

#20 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

Maybe even produced by Beck???

And with JMJ, Smokey, RJMJ and Joey. That would be an eargasm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users