7 replies to this topic

#1 Mutated_Vulture

Mutated_Vulture

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Interests:Tumblr
  • You must love the taste of turd, you're always swallowing your own words...

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

http://www.gq.com/en...-gq-music-issue

Well worth a read.
Posted Image

#2 Beckany

Beckany

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Colorado Caljam maneuvers

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Pretty cool interview. It's along the same lines as the Beck: 15 years article on Pitchfork.

He talks about so much generational stuff that I'm half tempted to give him Generations: A History of America's Future 1584 to 2069 and The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe at a show or something. What he's talking about is described in detail in both of these books. (Maybe he's already read them? :unsure:)

#3 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Pretty cool interview. It's along the same lines as the Beck: 15 years article on Pitchfork.

He talks about so much generational stuff that I'm half tempted to give him Generations: A History of America's Future 1584 to 2069 and The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe at a show or something. What he's talking about is described in detail in both of these books. (Maybe he's already read them? :unsure:)

Yeah, that's something he seems to have a particular interest in. I remember him talking about that kind of stuff in other interviews, even one going back a few years. I'll have to try and find it.
Posted Image

#4 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Beck and dialectical materialism

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket
  • hirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlego

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

Great interview!

"It hasn't been until the last few weeks that I've actually gotten to go back and revisit some of these songs I recorded in 2008. I'd given up on them, I think, about a year ago, and thought, "When I get around to making a record, I'll just start something new." I thought, "This stuff seems kind of—it doesn't seem as relevant anymore." But I think we're going to try to finish it up and maybe put 'em out as 12-inches or limited EPs or something."

This makes me particularly happy. :ThumbUp:

Another thing.. Beck sounds almost as a Hegelian when he talks about the retrospective character of history. It pleases me greatly.

#5 mellow goldfish

mellow goldfish

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Good stuff!
I often think about how music history gets rewritten too. I mean, I remember the 80's music scene in the uk, and some of the biggest bands were The Thompson Twins, Tears for Fears, Human League and Ultravox. But when media people talk about the 80's they usually rave about Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet. But in reality DD and SB were totally uncool bands who appeared on a lot of tv shows but I suspect didn't sell as many records as the others. :o

#6 mellow

mellow

Deluxe Cockroach

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts
  • Interests:rule breaking

• Current Mood:
    spring water

• What I Am Listening To:
    hummus

• Wanted Beck Items:
    everything ever on my mp3 player

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

^ yea. i don't trust the media either.

they do that.

Clipboard01_zpsaaed6ee9.jpg

spring water and hummus

#7 tebe2k

tebe2k

New-age Preacher

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts
  • Interests:I like things that I understand and I seek to understand things I don't like

• Current Mood:
    na na na-na na-na na

• What I Am Listening To:
    GueroGueroGueroGuero

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Emergency Exit
  • My name is Steven and I am dancing in your minds

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:54 AM

I like these quotes:

GQ: You weren't one of those warhorse guys who's like, "We're going to write a record on the bus, man."

Beck: Well, there's just no time. It wouldn't be difficult for me—it was just that there was never time.

and

"I also wanted to take some time to work on my songwriting and writing."

Actually there's so many quotes in here that make me excited. What about the one where he said he'd like to just take an acoustic guitar and make a record with it? Or the one where he says he has like four different concepts that he'd like to eventually try out!

have you ever let a color coordinated cowboy magician sit on your lap

Steve, The Amazing

#8 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Beck and dialectical materialism

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket
  • hirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlego

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

Beck touches a very important point and I think he's right, when he says that nowadays music becomes irrelevant fast. One should link this with his wish to do an acoustic album: form no longer matters in the music scene, now the decisive point in the struggle of what will make a difference is songwriting - the substance. It also possible to go a step further and claim that the same can be applied to the whole culture nowadays.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users