#42 Beckany

Beckany

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Colorado Caljam maneuvers

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

I don't know about that. But I remember there was a time Beck collided with Justin's bass when he was jumping around.

That was at Wembley Arena in March of 2000. My first ever Beck show. He got skewered by Justin's bass during Devil's Haircut. Beck hobbled off, was sent to the hospital, and his band was left to wrap things up. I was 19 and supple.

Posted Image

#43 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Beck and dialectical materialism

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket
  • hirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlego

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

It all seems more of an excuse to stop dancing out of a personal wish rather than being forced by circumstances. <_<

#44 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

It all seems more of an excuse to stop dancing out of a personal wish rather than being forced by circumstances. <_<

I don't have that impression at all. How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Posted Image

#45 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I don't know. Like testmarket I thought it was all due to fatherhood. Or perhaps he just wanted to shake off that supposedly ridiculous image of him (MV).

#46 tebe2k

tebe2k

New-age Preacher

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts
  • Interests:I like things that I understand and I seek to understand things I don't like

• Current Mood:
    na na na-na na-na na

• What I Am Listening To:
    GueroGueroGueroGuero

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Emergency Exit
  • My name is Steven and I am dancing in your minds

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

I do feel that perhaps he stopped dancing for his "character" and to fit the music he was writing. Plus, I mean, he's older.

have you ever let a color coordinated cowboy magician sit on your lap

Steve, The Amazing

#47 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Can't blame him, I think he was very serious and honest with MV but many saw him as a clown and it kind of hurt him. So he distanced himself from it. Anyway, it's the ol' "what's Becks problem with MV" topic. Perhaps I'm just a bit confused. Beck still played crazy gigs and music, but Ryan overtook the insane dancing. :lol: Maybe there's something to that injury story after all.

#48 RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Can one of the historians here pinpoint the last show that Beck performed with what was once his trademark energy and enthusiasm?

#49 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Can one of the historians here pinpoint the last show that Beck performed with what was once his trademark energy and enthusiasm?

Well, that would be hard. I think he has had some energy and enthusiasm at a number of shows in recent years. But if you want to confine it to dancing around, jumping up in the air, doing the splits, and that kind of thing, it was sometime in the summer of '03 (after the Field Day show). I'll go hunt for it.

Edit: The show I was thinking of was Rock en Seine, August 30, 2003.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

I do feel that perhaps he stopped dancing for his "character" and to fit the music he was writing. Plus, I mean, he's older.

Can't blame him, I think he was very serious and honest with MV but many saw him as a clown and it kind of hurt him. So he distanced himself from it. Anyway, it's the ol' "what's Becks problem with MV" topic. Perhaps I'm just a bit confused. Beck still played crazy gigs and music, but Ryan overtook the insane dancing. :lol: Maybe there's something to that injury story after all.

I think he was injured more than once, and he's had back problems and reportedly also a hernia and "weak ankles." I think his physical ailments had more to do with it than wanting to be "serious." At a few shows his problems even interfered with his ability to hold a guitar. And his ability to sing high notes was affected too.
Posted Image

#51 Broken Record

Broken Record

Tropicalist Troubadour

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well, that would be hard. I think he has had some energy and enthusiasm at a number of shows in recent years. But if you want to confine it to dancing around, jumping up in the air, doing the splits, and that kind of thing, it was sometime in the summer of '03 (after the Field Day show). I'll go hunt for it.

Edit: The show I was thinking of was Rock en Seine, August 30, 2003.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

:o

I miss those times...

Seriously, Beck needs a reconstructive funkiness surgery or something... :P
Posted Image

#52 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think you guys just need to accept it.

#53 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Yea, I don't want Beck to turn into Mick Jagger, doing the same things he did when he was young forever. As much as those were some of the best concerts you could ever imagine, I don't think Beck would or should pull it off now even if he tried.
whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#54 RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Yea, I don't want Beck to turn into Mick Jagger, doing the same things he did when he was young forever. As much as those were some of the best concerts you could ever imagine, I don't think Beck would or should pull it off now even if he tried.

I feel you. There is something a little awkward about a performer maintaining the same performance shtick over the course of his entire career. Although, I think an argument could be made that consistency of performance in the face of aging certainly did nothing to diminish the careers of Mick Jagger, James Brown, Tom Waits, etc.

Beck is a brilliant musician with a body of work that speaks to re-invention. And we know that he has the capacity to extend that inventive creativity to his live shows without having to draw from the Odelay well of weirdo histrionics. In the immediate post-halcyon days, for instance, he came up with a number of interesting gimmicks (e.g. puppets, Ryan, light-up suits, etc.) that helped distract from his own relatively subdued performance. But I've found the shows from the past few years to be precipitously less interesting and marked by what to me seems like a palpable lack of enthusiasm.

I'm willing to accept that the Modern Guilt tour was deliberately minimalistic and pure. But I get the unfortunate impression that the stoic, closed-eye, stationary and self-effacing performer from that tour is the one that's here to stay. Whether that's the product of hernias, toddler-induced fatigue, or some kind of Xenu mandate of self-effacement, I'm not sure we'll ever really know.

Regardless, this is my favorite musician we're talking about. I'm just happy he's still being productive. And if the guy wants to keep making brilliant music while also making the personal commitment to burn no more than six calories per concert, so be it. I'm just less inclined to dance in the pit.

#55 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

I completely agree that Beck seems less enthused since modern guilt

but I don't think dancing will change anything.

people be acting like midnite vultures is what makes beck

#56 tebe2k

tebe2k

New-age Preacher

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts
  • Interests:I like things that I understand and I seek to understand things I don't like

• Current Mood:
    na na na-na na-na na

GueroGueroGueroGuero

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Emergency Exit

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

I agree with the sentiment that this is my favorite artist and I'm happy with what I get. Plus, who's to say what we're going to get next from him anyway. So many good thoughts mentioned in RiffRaff's post.

So let's just get excited for new shows and the possibility of new music on the horizon.

Steve, The Amazing

#57 nocomplaints

nocomplaints

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

honestly the only thing I wish Beck would do is sound a little more sincere when he sings. He's real detatched sounding now and I cannot get real into it.

I don't care if he's funky or whatever. It'd just be nice to hear Beck sound like he's interested in what he's doing.

#58 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Well as for consistency of performance, I think that was definitely still there. Early on on the MoGu tour, there were a few dud shows that I went to but by the end the band was smoking. (Nokia Club shows in LA, the Hollywood Bowl with Orchestra, etc.)

Me, I chalk the MoGu perceived-lack-of-interest-on-stage up to a few things, and I don't know how they're all weighted in Beck's head, or even true:

1. injuries - we've seen the various rumors/reports

2. simply playing the electric guitar much more the last few tours hampered his movement

3. aging gracefully - Beck said in an interview he decided to talk less and be less silly, it was a conscious effort. think he compared it to Dylan? (maybe that was just me making that comparison haha) i also think this is why Beck hasn't released so much in awhile, but that's another post.

4. tired out: his new young family was certainly calling him, tho they did tour with him a bit too. toddler-induced fatigue, perhaps, but also rather-be-home-feelings.

5. tired out: similar but not toddler-induced: Beck has toured hardcore basically from 1994-2008. oh sure there was a break here and there (i.e., most of 2004). but really? the guy went hard for 15 years. i think that caught up to him, esp. with #4. that led directly to this very long and extended break from the stage since, and we shall see what he's like in May. (the Bridge School shows a few months ago seem very promising to me, like his spirit for the stage had returned.) this is the main reason in my opinion. i've been following him for much of those years pretty close, and heck even I wanted a bit of a break!

#59 mellow

mellow

Deluxe Cockroach

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 10,056 posts
  • Interests:rule breaking

• Current Mood:
    spring water

hummus

• Wanted Beck Items:
    everything ever on my mp3 player

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

I completely agree that Beck seems less enthused since modern guilt

but I don't think dancing will change anything.

people be acting like midnite vultures is what makes beck

word

Clipboard01_zpsaaed6ee9.jpg

spring water and hummus

#60 tebe2k

tebe2k

New-age Preacher

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts

• Current Mood:
    na na na-na na-na na

GueroGueroGueroGuero

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Emergency Exit

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

I thought he looked good during the Napa performance. Sounds enthused and wasn't stoic or anything.

Steve, The Amazing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users