12 replies to this topic

#1 calamity

calamity

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

I ran across this lady's blog, Kristi Belcamino. She apparently used to live with Bibbe, Sean Carillo, Beck, Leigh and a few other folks in the early 90s. There's an appearance by Jack White and a couple of Beck stories.

"One day, he was playing guitar on the front porch and a bunch of stray cats gathered around to listen. Magical."

:lol:

She also talks about the neighborhood gang and Beck getting chased by a guy with a baseball bat. Crazy.

http://www.kristibel...-angels-part-i/

http://www.kristibel...n-l-a-take-two/

http://www.kristibel...-angels-part-3/

Then Sean's sister (T.) posted this:
http://www.kristibel...-iv-guest-post/

{I don't know if these links have been posted here before (I looked and didn't see anything) or if this is now posted in the right place (correct me if I'm wrong). Hopefully after a few months here at stewoo I'll be hip to the jive.}

#2 Beckany

Beckany

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Colorado Caljam maneuvers

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

Beautiful! Thanks!

#3 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

Interesting links, thanks. Gives a vivid picture of what it was like living there, especially the situation with the gangs.
Posted Image

#4 Beckany

Beckany

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Inside, the small living room had an upright piano against one wall. A giant glass fishbowl on top of it held postcards.

Posted Image
and
Posted Image (from the same series I'm pretty sure)

Also, Jack White was involved? That doesn't add up to me. He would have been 15 or 16 around that time, living in Chicago, performing with The Upholsterers, right? (Unless he lived in LA for a time.) Also, the author calls him a "beautiful, impeccably groomed Asian boy," but White is Polish/Scottish/Canadian.

#5 calamity

calamity

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Inside, the small living room had an upright piano against one wall. A giant glass fishbowl on top of it held postcards.

Posted Image
and

Oh hey, think that's the fishbowl? It's apparently in an art exhibit:

T. May 7 2012

By the way, that fishbowl with postcards you mentioned is currently on tour as part of the ASCO exhibit entitled, Elite of the Obscure. It was in L.A. at LACMA. I believe it is at Williams College, MA right now and will probably make its way down to Mexico City before too long.
http://wcma.williams.edu/exhibit/asco/

The catalog is amazing! They were budgeted for 200 pages. It ended up being over 400 AND it won an award! How many little gems we encounter as we stumble through life, no? Well, I stumble, anyway.

Sean Carrillo talks a bit about the exhibit in this video. I kinda skimmed it and didn't hear anything about the fishbowl. But it's interesting -
dixie cup and paper dresses, punk, polka dot socks, bottle caps and wire pants.

Also, Jack White was involved? That doesn't add up to me. He would have been 15 or 16 around that time, living in Chicago, performing with The Upholsterers, right? (Unless he lived in LA for a time.) Also, the author calls him a "beautiful, impeccably groomed Asian boy," but White is Polish/Scottish/Canadian.

Hmmm, yeah, I just assumed it was Jack White, dressed up all spiffy in black and white and she kind of made the name more anonymous like she did with Beck. I guess I didn't think about the age. And I thought Asian...um, could have been a description of style...or a metaphor... :blush: You're so right. It's not him. I wonder who she's talking about.

Moving along: google maps tells me the house is across the street from an elementary school. I wonder if it was there back then. Sounds like it wasn't the safest neighborhood for little kids to be walking around. Lots of experiences to take in, formulate, relate.

#6 Beckany

Beckany

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

Posted Image
and

Oh hey, think that's the fishbowl? It's apparently in an art exhibit:

T. May 7 2012

By the way, that fishbowl with postcards you mentioned is currently on tour as part of the ASCO exhibit entitled, Elite of the Obscure. It was in L.A. at LACMA. I believe it is at Williams College, MA right now and will probably make its way down to Mexico City before too long.
http://wcma.williams.edu/exhibit/asco/

The catalog is amazing! They were budgeted for 200 pages. It ended up being over 400 AND it won an award! How many little gems we encounter as we stumble through life, no? Well, I stumble, anyway.

Sean Carrillo talks a bit about the exhibit in this video. I kinda skimmed it and didn't hear anything about the fishbowl. But it's interesting -
dixie cup and paper dresses, punk, polka dot socks, bottle caps and wire pants.

Hmmm, yeah, I just assumed it was Jack White, dressed up all spiffy in black and white and she kind of made the name more anonymous like she did with Beck. I guess I didn't think about the age. And I thought Asian...um, could have been a description of style...or a metaphor... :blush: You're so right. It's not him. I wonder who she's talking about.

Moving along: google maps tells me the house is across the street from an elementary school. I wonder if it was there back then. Sounds like it wasn't the safest neighborhood for little kids to be walking around. Lots of experiences to take in, formulate, relate.

Nice find. I really appreciate these kinds of in-depth stories. I remembered that photo and thought it might be related. There's a couple others like it of Beck in a dining room type area, but I don't feel like digging them up (read: I searched deadmelodies.com and got lazy after awhile).

I guess it could be Jack White, I mean, I don't know who else she'd be talking about. The eccentricity and clothing thing seem to match, and I guess she could have thought he was Asian (after all, I didn't even know what nationality Jack White was until I read the Wiki article), but I can't say for sure. (Does somebody else have any ideas?) If so, that pins Jack and Beck's history a lot earlier than I thought.

#7 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

I guess it could be Jack White, I mean, I don't know who else she'd be talking about. The eccentricity and clothing thing seem to match, and I guess she could have thought he was Asian (after all, I didn't even know what nationality Jack White was until I read the Wiki article), but I can't say for sure. (Does somebody else have any ideas?) If so, that pins Jack and Beck's history a lot earlier than I thought.

I didn't see any reason it would be Jack White. I mean, it's pretty glaringly obvious Jack White isn't Asian. And I think Jack would have been in Detroit then. Aside from the name, I didn't see anything that said "Jack White" about him. And there were probably a few dozen people named Jack W. in L.A. at the time.
Posted Image

#8 outcomeunpredictable

outcomeunpredictable

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

• Current Mood:
    vulgar

• What I Am Listening To:
    Odds are, something by Beck

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Everything
  • I'm gonna eat your face. Not really. But you should stay off the bath salts, they're pretty dangerous.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

I didn't see any reason it would be Jack White. I mean, it's pretty glaringly obvious Jack White isn't Asian. And I think Jack would have been in Detroit then. Aside from the name, I didn't see anything that said "Jack White" about him. And there were probably a few dozen people named Jack W. in L.A. at the time.

Could be Jack Wong for all we know!
Who needs a signature anyway?
You don't know me like I know you.

#9 outcomeunpredictable

outcomeunpredictable

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

• Current Mood:
    vulgar

• What I Am Listening To:
    Odds are, something by Beck

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Everything
  • I'm gonna eat your face. Not really. But you should stay off the bath salts, they're pretty dangerous.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Edit: I hope that doesn't sound racist, because it's not supposed to.

Edit Edit: I just replied to my post instead of editing it.
Wtf.
Who needs a signature anyway?
You don't know me like I know you.

#10 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

Edit: I hope that doesn't sound racist, because it's not supposed to.

Edit Edit: I just replied to my post instead of editing it.
Wtf.

I don't think it sounds racist to imagine that an Asian person might have a Chinese last name. Seems more likely than, say, Wasserstein.
Posted Image

#11 calamity

calamity

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

wow, this is so random. I was wondering if this lady ever wrote more about when she was roommates with Beck - she did...3 days ago - must be my sixth sense. Anyway, she cleared up the Jack White thing...ugh, still hanging my head in embarrassment on that one.

http://www.kristibel...w-rumors-start/

#12 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,690 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'm glad she addressed that!
Posted Image

#13 kanda

kanda

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I loved hearing those stories, like I can almost feel like I was there. I don't know about you guys- but those years before Odelay- when I see pictures of LA and hear about Beck in his old apartments and stuff, and I think about the 1989-1995/6 era- there is something so deep and visceral about thinking about that time period- like there was so much meaning there before all the technology and mass media stuff started to come in. I feel like I could probably never replicate that feeling of meaning of community and truth and stuff- now that most everyone I know spends all their time on facebook or on their phones instead of out on their porches. It makes me so sad to think about and sort of remember in a weird way too. I used to feel SOOOOO much emotion listening to beck going camping or out in the sun walking along some road in the summer. That stuff feels sooo real and deep- like I could literally transport myself to that feeling of time passing by in some random summer before all us echo boomer kids came around and now everything feels so removed, isolated, techno, materialist, overwhelming, careerist, sped up etc. I hardly have those feelings anymore and it makes me sad to think about.

I don't know if you know what I am talking about, or if it is just me, but I really feel like theres a "slow" life or a "deeper" reality that has sort of been lost- unless you deliberately unplug and go out somewhere removed from media and just sit and feel, for days before you probably are "normal" again. The real, true, deep normal. I wonder if it will ever return or if it is gone permanantly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users