• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

• Current Mood:
    vulgar

• What I Am Listening To:
    Odds are, something by Beck

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Everything
  • I'm gonna eat your face. Not really. But you should stay off the bath salts, they're pretty dangerous.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

http://pitchfork.com...lbum-announced/
According to the tracklist, there's only going to be one Beck mix, even though he's at the top of the list of mixers, and the one who inspired the project.
Who needs a signature anyway?
You don't know me like I know you.

#2 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts
  • Interests:playing with matches

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

I wish they would have done Wichita Vortex Sutra. I think it would have been very Beck-like to include a Glass/Ginsberg piece.
Posted Image

#3 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Interests:Beck and dialectical materialism

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket
  • hirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlegohirnlego

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

http://www.npr.org/b...-with-nyc-73-78

so great

#4 fanqmon

fanqmon

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

• Current Mood:
    ^~^

Beck

• Wanted Beck Items:
    all

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

there's an interview with beck and philip glass in this week's 'the new york times magazine'

its also on there website
http://www.nytimes.c...ework.html?_r=0

#5 calamity

calamity

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

From the NYTimes interview:

BECK: I love that story you told me, it was the first time we met, we were talking about the remix project. And someone had done a cello piece of yours, and then when you went to go see it, you didn’t recognize it.

GLASS: It was Arthur Russell. And he was a very good cellist. I was doing a theater piece for the Mabou Mines, it was some Beckett piece, and I wrote him a cello piece, and he liked the work and was playing it. And I came back about three months later, and I heard it and I said, “Arthur, that’s beautiful, but what happened to the piece?” And he said, “No, no, that is what you wrote,” and I said, “Arthur, it’s no longer what I wrote, it’s your piece now.” And he thought I was being upset, he apologized and I said, “No, no, no, I think we should put you down as the composer.” He had reached the point of transformation. The incremental changes had turned it into this other thing. I love the fact that he did that. And I love the fact that he didn’t know that he did it.

I was wondering how Beck might feel hearing all of the different interpretations of Song Reader, like when The Simpson's lyrics are added, etc. I guess he's really looking forward to hearing whatever happens. That guy is so open to new and different it's incredible. So many people are resistant to change and he just doesn't get stuck there somehow.

#6 mellow

mellow

Deluxe Cockroach

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,992 posts
  • Interests:rule breaking

• Current Mood:
    sprite

peanut butter

• Wanted Beck Items:
    everything ever on my mp3 player

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

it's a nice tune.

i like some parts better than others. it's 20+ mins. i would guess i like 12+ mins of it or 10 idk. it's got some great parts. some slug-ish parts to. i walk and listen on my walkman/mp3 player. ive listened to it like 15 times already. when i listen i dont wanna ff or rewind to the parts i like. i try the whole thing all the time. and it's kinda hard. i like it a lot and everything dont get me wrong. and for "this" kinda music. i'll admit i dont normally go here but i would bet. this would fit it nicely and everything.

great mostly. kinda has some left over sound shapes-ish sounds in it at some parts. breifly and im not sure where but in there somewhere.

i would say this is a beck hit.

in saying that beck has been hit and miss lately.
which imo he has.

i dont wanna piss anybody off here so i wont mention where he misses at.

:Whistling:

i will no comment on those. and thats is me being a "nice guy"

:Nerd:

sigh. i miss all killer no filler beck.
but he is human and all after all.
and i sit the bar to high.
Posted Image

#7 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

It's an amazing composition, listened to it on a bus ride to another city for 10 times at least. I find all the parts great and especially love the transitions from one to another. Some parts, of course, are better than others, but I doubt they could be subtracted from the piece as a whole. It's a whole.

Incidentally, I've been on a minimalism/contemporary classical obsession lately, so this remix is right on time. Reminded me why I love Beck.

#8 vaaaska

vaaaska

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Interesting, but not great...

#9 username

username

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:filling out forms which ask for my interests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Probably no one realizes this but me, but there is the Leonard Cohen's poem "puppets" from Book of Longing thrown into this remix.
Glass did a project centred on Cohen's book.

#10 kanda

kanda

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

I agree. There are some awesome bits and some not so awesome.

The part right around and including" I was living in a wasteland" are definately amazing-the rest sort of felt like dull ambient or videogame music imo... I felt embarrased when my roommate came in and it was playing on my computer.
Its alot like the harry partch scrapping parts together

#11 mellow

mellow

Deluxe Cockroach

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 9,992 posts
  • Interests:rule breaking

• Current Mood:
    sprite

peanut butter

• Wanted Beck Items:
    everything ever on my mp3 player

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

yea. video game. those small parts in there that sound like sound shapes ish. everytime i hear certain sounds in this i think back to that.

and cut and pasted together like harry partch as well.

not that it's a bad thing. that track has great moments as well.
i think im gonna say now that ill deal with it. and look at it like a whole. even if i do think it could be trimmed up. and what would be missing, i wonder. idk maybe nothing. maybe just where one sound drags on a little longer than it should. on the other hand. i just thought of this. at least (maybe?) beck isnt editing himself. idk. then again maybe this remix was like 40 mins at first. lol. ??? idk. if so of course i give him major credit for that as well.

ah. i like it a bunch i'm just talking. plus it's a remix. he's using glass 'es music and building on top of that. that's a limit on what you can do in a way. it is very beck ish tho yes, esp sound shapes, harry, etc. btw what all did he remix here. i really wonder what the org's sound like and what all he did.

off topic: i still Love: Looking For a Sign

i have now heard blue randy a couple of times. aw. don't really do it for me. guessing it never will. again it is different from everything i talked about above. which beck does time after time. it's just him i guess. i see him recording lots of music but really only letting out what he feels is different. in meaning he could have written another 5 songs like looking for a sign let's say and of those, all same sounding, he felt that was the best one of those. and i guess the only one he felt like releasing right now. i now he makes more music than he puts out. he said that back in mv time. i would guess it hasnt changed.

just yaking on. i have nothing better to do right now.
Posted Image

#12 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

We should establish a Beck-quisition to punish the unbelievers.

#13 username

username

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:filling out forms which ask for my interests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

The last 5 minutes of this song is possibly the prettiest thing Beck has ever put his name to.

#14 Daniel Star

Daniel Star

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

As far as I'm concerned Becks piece, NYC 73-78 is one of the finest pieces of music Beck has released in quite some years. I found it to be incredibly moving. Enough so that I felt compelled to visit the ol' stewoo forum for the first time in at least five years to see what my fellow Beck fanatics impressions were.

I agree with Dr. Freak... taking any part away from this piece would degrade it as a whole.. I think it all flows together quite nicely.

#15 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

As far as I'm concerned Becks piece, NYC 73-78 is one of the finest pieces of music Beck has released in quite some years. I found it to be incredibly moving. Enough so that I felt compelled to visit the ol' stewoo forum for the first time in at least five years to see what my fellow Beck fanatics impressions were.

I agree with Dr. Freak... taking any part away from this piece would degrade it as a whole.. I think it all flows together quite nicely.

Daniel Star! Hello!
Posted Image

#16 Thunderpeel

Thunderpeel

Zatyricon

• Admin
  • 8,870 posts

Take It Over
  • Citizen Beck, expound on your freak-like manner

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

<-- wonders why Candy has the bad, evil Butter Lady as her avatar! She tempts me with evil foods.

Posted Image

Strange Invitation

Lady Astor: "If I were married to you, I'd put poison in your coffee."

Winston Churchill: "If I were married to you, I'd drink it."

#17 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 34,639 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

<-- wonders why Candy has the bad, evil Butter Lady as her avatar! She tempts me with evil foods.

I am not really sure.
Posted Image

#18 calamity

calamity

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

I bought the album last week (I got Blunderbuss too). I was surprised to find a pic of Beck with Glass inside. I'm not usually a fan of remixes, but maybe since I'm not familiar with the original pieces, I really enjoy this whole album.

I can't remember who said on twitter (Max Miller?) that NYC: 73-78 was the quickest 20 minutes ever, I agree. I love the flow ~ rising and falling, Beck singing, the length of the piece. Not a big fan of the Germans & Jews part - I feel embarrassed when others are around during that part. Anyone know more info about this section?

#19 calamity

calamity

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Oh, that part is from Leonard Cohen 'Puppets' like someone mentioned above.

#20 Dr. Freak

Dr. Freak

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

• Wanted Beck Items:
    His leather jacket

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I love that part. Disco bliss, but I can agree that is sounds a little cheesy (why I love it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users