Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

http://www.beck.com/

Posted Image

WTF!
They tried to turn emotion into noise...

#2 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

DOUBLE WTF!
whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Brazilian_Nightmares

Brazilian_Nightmares

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

i'm already panicking about no recorded songs, but maybe i should read the whole thing first :D

#4 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Since it seems that fans will be making many covers of these songs

I made a tumblr

http://whiskeyclonenet.tumblr.com/

that if anyone sends me the songs they make (either from Song Reader or from Sound Shapes) I'll host them there forever

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Lazer Vizaginal Rejuvenation

Lazer Vizaginal Rejuvenation

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Is it just me or does Beck look bored and unenthused when not singing these?
Posted Image

#6 Jackie-o

Jackie-o

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Fangirling

• Current Mood:
    whimsical

• Wanted Beck Items:
    The Information, Odelay, and Midnite Vultures on vinyl
  • flashdance ass pants

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'm excited for this but a bit hesitant

#7 Beckany

Beckany

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Colorado Caljam maneuvers

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

This is...different. I'm not sure what to make of this yet.

#8 Little Midnite Vulture

Little Midnite Vulture

Operator of Bat-Posting Computer

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,017 posts
  • The thing is, we've taken away all the things that can't possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen in fact!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

It's exciting because it will inspire a lot of Beck fans to make something out of these, but yeah it kinda sucks we don't get to hear him. But maybe he'll do a tour or something and we can hear his original versions?

tumblr_inline_mh8m4zBiqY1qz4rgp.gifBsAo4BWIgAEVCXW.png

"MMMMN PRIINCESS BUBBLEGUM,

WE ARE STARVING, IMMEDIATELY SEND US ALL OF YOUR CANDY. HOW DARE YOU.

OURS,

BsAuBdcIcAEsxPy.png"

#9 guerolito

guerolito

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 44 posts
  • do the hotdog dance

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Interesting. I guess we'll see what comes of it.

#10 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm excited, I love the idea. Though I do recognize that those of us with no musical ability, like me, may be kind of semi-missing out, and just be buying a fancy book. It is a little weird to think that the only versions of some of these songs I may hear are lo-fi bedroom recordings by random people.

But still, I think this involves his fans to such an awesome degree, that I love it. Beck fans are cool people, and I think that will show here! I saw a few posts around considering this a pretentious move, but I don't think so. He's sending his songs out to everyone interested to do what they will--that's the opposite of pretentious!

Also as a copyrights lawyer, this has a world of interesting issues! Beck's either taking it way back or way forward, I'm not sure yet.

I do think there's a good shot that Beck will drop at least a couple of his versions of the songs, even though the press release was implying that wouldn't happen. That just makes marketing sense, imo. But regardless, I'm going to bug Tron and JMJ and whoever else I can think of to turn out their own versions! :) I think we as a big group of fans can make this really cool.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 guerolito

guerolito

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 44 posts
  • do the hotdog dance

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm excited, I love the idea. Though I do recognize that those of us with no musical ability, like me, may be kind of semi-missing out, and just be buying a fancy book. It is a little weird to think that the only versions of some of these songs I may hear are lo-fi bedroom recordings by random people.

But still, I think this involves his fans to such an awesome degree, that I love it. Beck fans are cool people, and I think that will show here! I saw a few posts around considering this a pretentious move, but I don't think so. He's sending his songs out to everyone interested to do what they will--that's the opposite of pretentious!

Also as a copyrights lawyer, this has a world of interesting issues! Beck's either taking it way back or way forward, I'm not sure yet.

I do think there's a good shot that Beck will drop at least a couple of his versions of the songs, even though the press release was implying that wouldn't happen. That just makes marketing sense, imo. But regardless, I'm going to bug Tron and JMJ and whoever else I can think of to turn out their own versions! :) I think we as a big group of fans can make this really cool.

It is a cool idea but I really feel like I'm going to be missing out on the experience of really enjoying it in a way a musically inclined person might. I'd rather just have 8 new Beck songs than 20 pieces of paper I can look at, but that's just me being a little bummed about it. I'm still eager to see what happens anyway. Hopefully he'll release the music later on after people have had the chance to play with it.

#12 outcomeunpredictable

outcomeunpredictable

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

• Current Mood:
    vulgar

• What I Am Listening To:
    Odds are, something by Beck

• Wanted Beck Items:
    Everything
  • I'm gonna eat your face. Not really. But you should stay off the bath salts, they're pretty dangerous.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

I for one, WILL be making my own versions of the songs. I have a friend who plays piano and trumpet and saxophone really well, plus three who play guitar, one who plays bass, and I can kinda drum (mostly program beats) and mix and do vocals. So, yeah, something will come of this from my end!
Who needs a signature anyway?
You don't know me like I know you.

#13 PirateFetus

PirateFetus

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Anime, noise, Video games, random japanese things, etc.
  • na na, na na na na naaa

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

That would be so cool to hear Tron or JMJ do songs from the Beck album, without Beck haha. (with Beck too would obviously be cool as well!)
Maybe a Wounded Cougar reunion? Heavy metal version of the new one- assuming it's not already written to be heavy metal!

I'm gonna make a version of the album for sure. While I'm with everyone who would like to hear Beck - versions of all these songs, I'm also keeping in mind that he has at least 2 albums that he's recorded since Modern Guilt, plus the second K album, plus the EVOL cassette, plus this new stuff he's doing with JMJ... it's not that he's half-assing anything or being lazy. If anything, these could be songs that he likes but has just moved past already, and instead of letting them sit on the shelf he's figured out a cool way for the fans to do something with it. Maybe it's all part of an even bigger plan!
Check out my new album by clicking here: "MAX MILLER Performs BECK HANSEN's Song Reader"

20 songs, written by Beck. Interpreted and recorded by Max.

Stream or download for free. Spread the word. And most importantly- Enjoy the music!

www.MaxMillerMakesMusic.com

my Twitter page

#14 timsqueegee

timsqueegee

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

This is stupid. I don't want to hear a bunch of amateurs playing Beck songs as they imagine them. I know Beck probably thinks this is innovative and creative, but if he doesn't release this as an actual record, it's just dumb. If he does release the record and this is just a prelude or component of the release, that's cool, but if this is all we get, that's absurd.

#15 Broken Record

Broken Record

Tropicalist Troubadour

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

I am having big WTF moment...

first, the new look of forum, then this!!!

I need time to process all that... :unsure:
Posted Image

#16 Brazilian_Nightmares

Brazilian_Nightmares

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I don't know what he's going to do until December to gear up for the release, so I don't think we'll have to wait too long for official studio music, be it this or something entirely different. The JMJ twitter messages implied some sort of studio work, there's some bullshit added info on Beck's wiki page about working with Thom Yorke on a new album, and I really believe Beck loves the studio and the art of recording too much (he seems to be a pretty prominent producer these days) to abandon it for the meantime.

But I am really looking forward trying to decode all this sheet music - attempted it a few years ago in piano lessons and gave up! - and admire Beck's attention to detail in the artwork and the release method in all his musical ventures :). I wouldn't say its pretentious, just maybe more cheeky of him!

#17 RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is a great concept and I'm looking forward to _reading_ all the songs. I've already started on my non-ukelele cover of Do We? We Do.

Is it just me or does Beck look bored and unenthused when not singing these?

:)

#18 Laservampire

Laservampire

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

As a musician who doesn't read music....

Posted Image

#19 denholm123

denholm123

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot yankee hotel foxtrot

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

So is it possible that there could be some surprises at the surprise show tomorrow?
...probably not, but I hope so. Even if he just mentions it!
Also, does anyone have a guess at how much this could cost? It sounds spendy.

#20 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,701 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

So is it possible that there could be some surprises at the surprise show tomorrow?
...probably not, but I hope so. Even if he just mentions it!
Also, does anyone have a guess at how much this could cost? It sounds spendy.

Huh? There's a surprise show? I guess I am suitably surprised.

Edit: Oh, this:

BECK SURPRISE AUG. 9 SHOW AT BIMBO’S IN S.F.!

Beck has confirmed a surprise show August 9 show at Bimbo’s in San Francisco in advance of his appearance at this weekend’s Outside Lands festival. Tickets go on sale noon PST for the 18+ show, with a limit of two tickets per order. Tickets must be picked up day of show at will call with photo ID and are non-transferable with no ins and outs. Doors will be at 7:30 p.m. and showtime is 9:00 p.m. Ticket link here.

Edited by Candy with Strangers, 08 August 2012 - 09:31 PM.
yes

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users