Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

• Current Mood:
    new album yet?
  • nap-tizzle in the hizzle fa shizzle

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

the idea is growing on me.. should be fun to hear everyone's interpretations of these songs. but still.... 5 years and no 'true' beck album.. i digress :/
I g_t _w_ tu_nt_bl_s and a _i________.

#102 Adze

Adze

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

the idea is growing on me.. should be fun to hear everyone's interpretations of these songs. but still.... 5 years and no 'true' beck album.. i digress :/

Kenny G performs Beck's "Song Reader".

GZUhXY5.gif

#103 Mutated_Vulture

Mutated_Vulture

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Interests:Tumblr
  • You must love the taste of turd, you're always swallowing your own words...

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

Heads up - Triple J will be playing a cover of 'Do We? We Do' by Megan Washington on Friday.
Not sure if she's known much internationally, she's an Australian indie artist who did songs like 'Sunday Best', 'How to Tame Lions' and I think 'Rich Kids' if they help ring any bells. Lovely voice, not my cup of tea, but it'll be interesting to hear her take on the song.

http://www.abc.net.a...tm#.UCtb6t0gc3l
Posted Image

#104 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Not sure if anyone follows Bob Lefsetz or not. He used to be an entertainment lawyer and then quit the biz to do lord knows what. He has a newsletter that basically everyone in the music biz subscribes to. He just sent out an email slamming Song Reader calling it a publicity stunt.

"Unable to sell an album, people no longer interested in what he has to say musically, Beck has made an end run around the music business and gotten his old fans and techies excited, and has them spreading the word better than any major label campaign publicity would be able to."

....unable to sell an album? Where? When? Huh? What?

Okayyy....

I can post the whole thing if anyone is interested.

#105 Adze

Adze

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

Not sure if anyone follows Bob Lefsetz or not. He used to be an entertainment lawyer and then quit the biz to do lord knows what. He has a newsletter that basically everyone in the music biz subscribes to. He just sent out an email slamming Song Reader calling it a publicity stunt.

"Unable to sell an album, people no longer interested in what he has to say musically, Beck has made an end run around the music business and gotten his old fans and techies excited, and has them spreading the word better than any major label campaign publicity would be able to."

Okayyy....

Well, no matter what your feelings on Song Reader is, I think we can all agree; we'd like a new Beck album (even before the announcement of Song Reader).

"...and has them spreading the word better than any major label campaign publicity would be able to."

In the last few years, I can only think of one specific musician who's been hyped through a record industry successfully (Lana Del Rey). All the other BIG musicians have been hyped through cultural dwellers (redditors, bloggers, content creators, etc.) who have, on their own accord, spread the word about specific songs and albums. Sure, LMFAO has a catchy beat and interesting videos (courtesy of the RI), but the real reason why everyone got sucked in was that EVERYONE was creating their parodies, their covers and their dance vids, etc. and sharing it on the internet. Their first album tanked in comparison to what they did with their follow up. That's because the best way to have word spread right now is allowing people to do their own thing to it (good is another story though; see "Call Me Maybe").

Interactivity is important, and the record industry can't seem to catch on to that. MGMT experimented back in 2008 with creating your own music video. Moby experimented back in 2005 with the same thing. At that time, outputs like YouTube and Reddit and their precursors just weren't to the same level so they didn't work. The sharing of personally-created content just wasn't as popular at the time. We're at the time where media not being interactive can ultimately lead to a failure. (Little Big Planet, although a different entertainment medium, has its primary content based upon users' creations and has sold extremely well.)

It's also ironic that he implies that Beck essentially has to FIGHT TO BE RELEVANT, as that is a statement that would come from someone trying to start controversy in a fight to stay relevant.

GZUhXY5.gif

#106 corny rex

corny rex

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 16 posts

• Current Mood:
    Groovy

• What I Am Listening To:
    Classical

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Beck definitely does not have to fight to be relevant. He has some serious ravenous fans worthy of Radiohead. If anything, he’s proving to be a difficult artist who ultimately does what he wants regardless of gaining or losing converts to his fan base, but the ravenous core of the fan base appears to always remain the same.

If Beck has handled his money properly, he could easily retire and live a quiet life full-time. He doesn’t have to fight for jack.

#107 Adze

Adze

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Beck definitely does not have to fight to be relevant. He has some serious ravenous fans worthy of Radiohead. If anything, he’s proving to be a difficult artist who ultimately does what he wants regardless of gaining or losing converts to his fan base, but the ravenous core of the fan base appears to always remain the same.

If Beck has handled his money properly, he could easily retire and live a quiet life full-time. He doesn’t have to fight for jack.

Alright. I apologize for my previous statements on your opinion. Well said.

I guess I'd rather have someone who does what they want than someone who is forced to play radio friendly pop garbage.

GZUhXY5.gif

#108 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

Okayyy....

Well, no matter what your feelings on Song Reader is, I think we can all agree; we'd like a new Beck album (even before the announcement of Song Reader).

"...and has them spreading the word better than any major label campaign publicity would be able to."

In the last few years, I can only think of one specific musician who's been hyped through a record industry successfully (Lana Del Rey). All the other BIG musicians have been hyped through cultural dwellers (redditors, bloggers, content creators, etc.) who have, on their own accord, spread the word about specific songs and albums. Sure, LMFAO has a catchy beat and interesting videos (courtesy of the RI), but the real reason why everyone got sucked in was that EVERYONE was creating their parodies, their covers and their dance vids, etc. and sharing it on the internet. Their first album tanked in comparison to what they did with their follow up. That's because the best way to have word spread right now is allowing people to do their own thing to it (good is another story though; see "Call Me Maybe").

Interactivity is important, and the record industry can't seem to catch on to that. MGMT experimented back in 2008 with creating your own music video. Moby experimented back in 2005 with the same thing. At that time, outputs like YouTube and Reddit and their precursors just weren't to the same level so they didn't work. The sharing of personally-created content just wasn't as popular at the time. We're at the time where media not being interactive can ultimately lead to a failure. (Little Big Planet, although a different entertainment medium, has its primary content based upon users' creations and has sold extremely well.)

It's also ironic that he implies that Beck essentially has to FIGHT TO BE RELEVANT, as that is a statement that would come from someone trying to start controversy in a fight to stay relevant.

He also goes on to say things like "What Beck is doing is no different in theory from what Trent Reznor did years ago. What artists do every day on Topspin. They're upselling. Selling products that have nothing to do with the music itself. Like books. All Beck has done is push the envelope."

I was referring less to the bit about the internets and more about it seeming like Beck is desperately trying to get back in the limelight. Lefsetz typically tries to get under everyone's skin at some point.

Did I miss something about his money mismanagement? I mean I can only assume that he's probably put some money into scientology but the way you worded that makes it sound like I've missed something.

#109 Mutated_Vulture

Mutated_Vulture

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Interests:Tumblr
  • You must love the taste of turd, you're always swallowing your own words...

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

Washington's cover is out, with a hint of Springfield ;)

I quite love this.
Posted Image

#110 Aerobic Victim

Aerobic Victim

Courgette Conversationalist

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Beck's Song Reader: artsy, innovative and inspiring ( if you like to DIY), but
hopefully also a preliminary for an upcoming conventional album...

sillywalksstreetsignnorway.jpg

#111 corny rex

corny rex

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 16 posts

• Current Mood:
    Groovy

• What I Am Listening To:
    Classical

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

#112 kanda

kanda

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

I want to chime in on this as I truely believe Beck has been pondering this as a solution to a heavy philosophical problem thats been plaguing us ever since 'alternative' and 'authentic' got coopted into the mainstream and individuality and competetion and narcissism has instead eroded any possibility of true culture and community. Becks look is constantly being coopted by urban outfitters- like youth, and even today its impossible even as a great musician to do anything that can be seen if even heard unless it pleases a market already so doors to innovation-true innovation are closed. So heres why as I see this move as great in theory:

First off, I am sure beck got alot of advisement on this as a marketing decision because its mainly genius in marketing terms. Beck has been aware of the challenges invoved in changing technology and formats (he made modern guilt's album cover mainly to be seen and stand out as a small recognized icon in itunes) and the challenge of delivering content in a way that could still be tangible for revenue purposes without being the conventional vinyl and download package model which only appeals to record collectors otherwise everyone else streams or pirates leaves the prospect of a conventional album unappealing both financially pragmatically and emotionally.
Also the cost savings without the upfront of massive studio costs puts this book in a good light for investors or co publishers. So from a business backing aspect its positive ( ie no labels around so look elsewhere- in this case mcsweenys)
Second- and most importantly is that with the hyper pluralization out there already anyonr can slap on a style or effect and claim identity from that- which leaves style meaningless- study simulacra and semiotics for more on this but what Im trying to say is beck knows that even if he made a record whatever effects or style hes layering on in the recording would be considered in todays world as irrelevant- wed either categorize it and label it or it would be instantly coopted- which is a danger which I am sure has been plaguing him in his sleep as he is great notonly for the song structures but for the styles hes utilizing the effects and sounds and aestethic aspects of his work which make it signatre him but now those aesthetic layers are no longer important as a tool to be cutting edge.If you do something original and within the hour everyone can replicate how you used your tools its no longer meaningful. So what do you do? You go back to the
meaning- the solid structure of the songs bones and an attempt to create community that has been lost.
For beck releasing this book is a way to show he still has songs to share but does it in a way that evades identity- identity is what everyones trying to get a hold on, show off to others and prove to others which is a problem with the post modern mirror and simulacra- beck is very aware of the seperating and dividing nature of identity so he evades it completely. That is perhaps the most important aspect of song reader- its essentially flying in the face of stylistic narcissism and competetion which is pervasive in advertising today- and instead creates the requirement of building the identity of the work yourself with others. To explain this: Becks voice is not featured. His photo is not featured. Everyone thinks that they have to have a
"signature" and this identity signature is actually no longer avant guarde so beck solved that as a philosophical problem- sort of in a banksy like way... best analogy I suppose.. This "me" identity is the antithesis of community- esspecially since identity has now become so commercialized/narcissitic.

Its an attempt to bring back the old days of comunity where families sat around a piano singing rather than bros showing off shitty syth skills to uninterested cynics. The genius is that beck is still working within a capitalistic model- hes still selling you a product but hes refusing to sell you a style or an item of "coolness" that is coopted.

The only negative outcome aside from people specificaly wishingto hear him play is instead they will have to hear many others playing. Some will be in vanity some will be amateur, etc etc and that for sure will frustrate many. .. but hes also saying allot by putting it into our hands. It says everything about our moment, the potential to go back to community and innovation lost to corporate cooopting of cool and commercialization of subversion. If anything I think it may predede or mirror a revolution of somesort although revollution has become a dirty word.

Beck knows his market (musicians, people wanting to be musicians? Cerebral types, cynics. Hes getting real and giving reall innovation a chance, real inteligence a chance.... in a way where pedantism doesnt have to be elitist...because weve no doubt seen a swarm of narcisstic pursuit of knowledge for a vain purpose. To take out the cache from the whole picture and keep it about the music is the goal. I think beck wil reach it..

#113 simonsaysno

simonsaysno

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'm a long time beck fan.after initial confusion ,my take on this ..its intended for the end of the world.its showing "what an album can be in 2012". released in December a week or so before many believe shits gonna hit the fan.
good luck interacting with your shiny new nickelback cd in a post apocalyptic world without electricity. .Bust out the acoustic guitar,harmonica ,some pots and pans to bang around on ,and go find that new beck album (:

#114 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,259 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

So far, up to 7 versions of "Do We? We Do" just based off that one gif of one page of the sheet music.

http://whiskeyclonen...ed/Do-We?-We-Do
whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#115 PirateFetus

PirateFetus

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Anime, noise, Video games, random japanese things, etc.
  • na na, na na na na naaa

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm a long time beck fan.after initial confusion ,my take on this ..its intended for the end of the world.its showing "what an album can be in 2012". released in December a week or so before many believe shits gonna hit the fan.
good luck interacting with your shiny new nickelback cd in a post apocalyptic world without electricity. .Bust out the acoustic guitar,harmonica ,some pots and pans to bang around on ,and go find that new beck album (:

that's such a haunting and awesome idea. I read this this morning but have been thinking about it all day!
Check out my new album by clicking here: "MAX MILLER Performs BECK HANSEN's Song Reader"

20 songs, written by Beck. Interpreted and recorded by Max.

Stream or download for free. Spread the word. And most importantly- Enjoy the music!

www.MaxMillerMakesMusic.com

my Twitter page

#116 Brazilian_Nightmares

Brazilian_Nightmares

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

that's such a haunting and awesome idea. I read this this morning but have been thinking about it all day!

yeah its quite a melancholy thought, that Beck may have prepared us for the last music we'll ever hear...him! makes the apocalypse sound a little more bearable :)
They tried to turn emotion into noise...

#117 Adze

Adze

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

I can see it now... you'll be walking across the wasteland and all you'll hear is the haunting sound of "Do We? We Do" echoing from the distance...

GZUhXY5.gif

#118 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

yeah its quite a melancholy thought, that Beck may have prepared us for the last music we'll ever hear...him! makes the apocalypse sound a little more bearable :)

but but but but

Posted Image

#119 Rippetoe

Rippetoe

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

I just hope Beck eventually covers his own songs, since I can't read sheet music or play worth a shit.

#120 Adze

Adze

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

I just hope Beck eventually covers his own songs, since I can't read sheet music or play worth a shit.

My kazoo cover will come out May 2020. Mark it on your calendar.

GZUhXY5.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users