• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Really surprised that there's no love for this guy on here.

Does not one else remember this guy?
Posted Image
(this is from the Theater at Madison Square Garden show in October 2006)

I would come to find out that this guy does really awesome stuff. He does a messload of producing now (did the last Hellogoodbye record, for instance) but prior to all of that he was in a band called Self which from my findings is now a cult-loved band which was active in the 90s.

I remember showing this photo to a co-worker of mine when I was temping at a company who writes songs for commercials and having them be like, "oh that's Matt!" and having them proceed to tell me that he wrote the Expedia.com microjingle. You know, that "Expedia.... DOT COMMMMMMMMM" on every commercial? He did that. He's also written/co-written on a bunch of stuff in every corner of the universe that you could imagine.

Either way, I love him to death and I am here to make it known that you probably should too.

#2 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yea he's a great songwriter. He gets overlooked cuz he was in the band at the same time as Wounded Cougar though, I think.

In that Australian phone interview Beck said he was recording in Nashville and sometimes his old band members there would come by to record, and I took that to mean Matt!
whiskeyclone.net / almostaghost

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 PirateFetus

PirateFetus

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Anime, noise, Video games, random japanese things, etc.
  • na na, na na na na naaa

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

I said "Awesome show!" to him after the Angel Orensanz acoustic night thing but didn't get much other chance to talk to him- wish I'd heard his music before that cuz I'd have had much more to say!

Love the Gizmodgery album and also his album as Wired All Wrong
Check out my new album by clicking here: "MAX MILLER Performs BECK HANSEN's Song Reader"

20 songs, written by Beck. Interpreted and recorded by Max.

Stream or download for free. Spread the word. And most importantly- Enjoy the music!

www.MaxMillerMakesMusic.com

my Twitter page

#4 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

I said "Awesome show!" to him after the Angel Orensanz acoustic night thing but didn't get much other chance to talk to him- wish I'd heard his music before that cuz I'd have had much more to say!

I was at that show, too! I was about 3 rows back on the right side. What a magical night. So weirdly rad that we were both there and are friends now. :)

#5 PirateFetus

PirateFetus

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Anime, noise, Video games, random japanese things, etc.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

I was at that show, too! I was about 3 rows back on the right side. What a magical night. So weirdly rad that we were both there and are friends now. :)

ah, so cool/weirdly rad! we were lucky to see such an amazing show! I was in the front row but a little to the right, pretty much right in front of JMJ. My friend sat one or two seats to the right of me, and couldn't see Beck over JMJ's fro until Beck decided to stand up! :hysterical:
Check out my new album by clicking here: "MAX MILLER Performs BECK HANSEN's Song Reader"

Stream or download for free. Spread the word. And most importantly- Enjoy the music!

my Twitter page

#6 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

ah, so cool/weirdly rad! we were lucky to see such an amazing show! I was in the front row but a little to the right, pretty much right in front of JMJ. My friend sat one or two seats to the right of me, and couldn't see Beck over JMJ's fro until Beck decided to stand up! :hysterical:

Have you ever seen my videos from that show? I got a few of 'em somewhere around here...

#7 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,693 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

In that Australian phone interview Beck said he was recording in Nashville and sometimes his old band members there would come by to record, and I took that to mean Matt!

Yeah, I thought so, too.
Posted Image

#8 PirateFetus

PirateFetus

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Ah I haven't seen your videos! what's your youtube name?

my Twitter page

#9 Beckany

Beckany

Fried Muffin

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Colorado Caljam maneuvers

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Freaky. I was just talking about Self the other day.

#10 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Ah I haven't seen your videos! what's your youtube name?

They're actually on Vimeo. This was before YouTube started allowing HD video uploads. I suddenly feel so old.

"Where It's At":
"Think I'm In Love":
Table Medley - "The Golden Age"/"Clap Hands"/"One Foot In The Grave": https://vimeo.com/2463718

side note: this show made me want to get married in this freaking place. it's so gorgeous. It's also apparently something like 40k to rent out for a wedding (or so I saw because Sarah Jessica Parker got married in there). Forget that dream

Freaky. I was just talking about Self the other day.

According to his facebook self fans have some exciting news coming up very soon. Please Loki, please let there be a new album coming out soon.

#11 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • Ittakesabackwashmantosingabackwashsonglikeafryingpanwhenthefire'sgonedrivingmypigwhilethebandistakingpicturesinthegrassandilikepianosintheeveningsundraggingmyheelstilmydayisdonesaturdaynightinthecaptainsclothestenderhornsblowingwhenmyjewelryfrozeYOSOYUNDISCOQUEBRADOYOTENGOCHICLEENMICEREBRO

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

Someone on the old beck.com BBS actually gave Beck a Self cd when she met him in probably like 1999-2000 or so. I can't remember exactly when, but it was a good few years at least prior to Matt joining up the band. I always thought that was cool, that he checked them out and even took it to that level of contacting Matt and hiring him for a little bit.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Someone on the old beck.com BBS actually gave Beck a Self cd when she met him in probably like 1999-2000 or so. I can't remember exactly when, but it was a good few years at least prior to Matt joining up the band. I always thought that was cool, that he checked them out and even took it to that level of contacting Matt and hiring him for a little bit.

Wow seriously? That's amazing. I always wondered what the two of them could do if they teamed up on something. I know Matt played bass on some of the songs in the Odelay reissue (If I am remembering correctly) but I feel like their quirky minds working together on something would be awwweeessssommmeee.

#13 seacaptain

seacaptain

Totally Phat

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Yea... he's on "Inferno," I think that's the only official recorded thing they released

He's also likely on the session of covers he recorded in Nashville in 2006 ("Forget Marie" being the only one released so far)

I may be forgetting one or two, but there hasn't been much outside the live shows.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 kibbe

kibbe

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

He's playing a full band sElf show in Nashville on December 29th!!! Going going going I'm going going going!

#15 unheard78

unheard78

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:music, books, games, movies, abandoned buildings, the unknown, dogs, hip-hop, drums, noise, zombies, yada yada

• Current Mood:
    not sure. the mood ring says I'm dead.

• Wanted Beck Items:
    unmastered and unreleased recordings
  • text text scrolling text

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I LOVE sElf! I wish Matt would get around to releasing a new album, even if it's not under the Self, or sElf, name. It's been way too long since the Wired All Wrong record. That said, I always thought Breakfast With Girls, easily my least favorite Self album, sounded like it was gunning for a serious Beck comparison by his then-label, Dreamworks. It kinds irked me because of how great Matt is without drawing comparisons. Gizmodgery is simply amazing and the Half-Baked Serenade really excellent! The B-Side albums are also great and the unreleased final album, Ornament and Crime, despite being a professional compromise, has some of his best songs on it. Just a sweet dude all around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users