42 replies to this topic

#1 reckoner

reckoner

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:47 PM

now i originally posted this at the end of the "wayne slaggin beck" thread...but immediately regreted beacuse A) i didn't really have to do with that topic...and B) i feel it is a relevant disscussion topic and it has gotten no response there....so wa la...

the thing is..."fuck it" is beck's reputation even to this day...he's built his whole career on it. i mean he recorded "loser" in someone's living room and hasn't surpased it since. he recorded mutations in two weeks. i mean he is still considered the guy who, at any sign of conflict, will just say "fuck it" i'll just make another album.

the problem is even though he still maintains that rep. i think he is quite the opposite now. i mean he has spent more time than he ever has making Guero (even longer than Midnite Vultures, which is way more complex) and the results (from what i've heard) i don't think outweigh the effort. beck got a history making contract when he signed with Geffen allowing him to make mainstream albums with them but release other projects off to the side on other labels...AND WHAT HAS HE DONE WITH IT?...nothing. he released One Foot and Stereo right after Mellow Gold, which were already made at the time (a reason i think he went for that contract)...but from then on...no releases on other labels...what a waste. any other thoughts??

#2 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:playing with matches

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:50 PM

i would really like to see some of the stuff he recorded for k records that either got scrapped or re-recorded for mutations. and who knows...he has a plethora of songs he has written since sea change, so he might venture away from geffen in the future, because i doubt geffen would want to handle so many releases (if he decided to do so). although beck is always a popular release (itunes) so they might.
Posted Image

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:56 PM

that stipulation was put in the contract so he could release those albums, not necessarily so he could release more. it just happened to end up a happy accident that way. what it basically comes down to is that geffen/interscope has first dibs on anything he records, if they pass on it, he can release it on an indie somewhere else. geffen hasn't passed on anything yet, partially because beck just doesn't record stuff like spsm or ofitg anymore, his stuff now has at least some sort of commercial sensibility. He takes a lot of pride in making a new album, and the end result is almost always something a major label like Geffen/Interscope would prefer to put out. Mutations was originally meant to come out on an indie, but Geffen snatched that up. so it's not that he isn't taking advantage of it, it's just that he hasn't had/made a chance to. I can guarantee you if he made a record of barfing into a glass of mayonaisse, it'd be out on an indie just another way to look at it.

truck

#4 Guest_truck (Guest)_*

Guest_truck (Guest)_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

that was me by the way.

truck

#5 reckoner

reckoner

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:13 PM

hey truck...what about beck officially releasing his older stuff then...stuff like Golden Feelings, Western Harvest, Banjo Story...is this in the works? i remember reading some time ago about how Golden Feelings had a limited release (apparently illegally) and about how beck got upset that this happened. he said something about how he would love to release all his old stuff but he'd like to go through it all and do it right, and he just didn't have time. what is he wanting to do with it? change it? i want it just the way it was (not souped up or something)...that's the point. so just release it already.

#6 Guest_truck (Guest)_*

Guest_truck (Guest)_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

nothings in the works now, i'd wait for the 2025 anthology set.

#7 Guest_username_*

Guest_username_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

I think beck takes his recording career a lot more seriously now as opposed to 1994. I just don't see him releasing anything that would sound totally uncommercial anymore.

The fact that he doesn't release as much these days is a valid argument, especially when people like ryan adams are releasing a few albums every year. It's not that beck doesn't record, it's just that he doesn't release it. i think beck just edits himself because he wants to be sure that what he actually releases meets his standards of quality. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, it just depends on how you see it i guess.

#8 Candy with Strangers

Candy with Strangers

Nice Lady

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:05 PM

beck got a history making contract when he signed with Geffen allowing him to make mainstream albums with them but release other projects off to the side on other labels...AND WHAT HAS HE DONE WITH IT?...nothing.  he released One Foot and Stereo right after Mellow Gold, which were already made at the time (a reason i think he went for that contract)...but from then on...no releases on other labels...what a waste.  any other thoughts??

I don't see it as a waste. The contract allowed him to put out OFITG and SPSM, and on top of them, all the Geffen albums he's released, plus singles, etc. So what's been wasted? Beck still put out music. He hasn't had an obligation to his fans to put out independent albums.
Posted Image

#9 AWesternHarvestFieldByMoonlight

AWesternHarvestFieldByMoonlight

Mouldy Crouton

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:35 PM

...stuff like Golden Feelings, Western Harvest, Banjo Story...

For me these stuff is good but i don't think that Beck will release it in cd (without a gun in the head hahaha :D ). It's a teen stuff and the interesting songs like "totally confuse" has been released as a B-sides. :)

Un saludo

Currently Listening to: Bjork - The Modern Things

#10 reckoner

reckoner

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

beck got a history making contract when he signed with Geffen allowing him to make mainstream albums with them but release other projects off to the side on other labels...AND WHAT HAS HE DONE WITH IT?...nothing.  he released One Foot and Stereo right after Mellow Gold, which were already made at the time (a reason i think he went for that contract)...but from then on...no releases on other labels...what a waste.   any other thoughts??

I don't see it as a waste. The contract allowed him to put out OFITG and SPSM, and on top of them, all the Geffen albums he's released, plus singles, etc. So what's been wasted? Beck still put out music. He hasn't had an obligation to his fans to put out independent albums.

well i guess i only said "waste" because beck knew he was going to put out OFITG and SPSM immediately on indie labels using his "special" contract and since then nothing else has come out like that. now that truck explained to me that Mutations was intended to go that route till Geffen snatched it up, it makes more sense. it would've evened things out a bit more.

#11 Reece

Reece

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

what about this spare album,albums(s)? in the bag from nigel godrich..he says he has an extra album worth...i wanna hear them,more than guero

i got a feeling there might be another release in 05!

and he always said he would like to release 2 albums at once..
hopefully in the not to distant furture..

#12 Reece

Reece

Wet Bread

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

and of course..a DVD is needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
concert,doco,videos,interveiws atc :D

#13 reckoner

reckoner

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:24 PM

and of course..a DVD is needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
concert,doco,videos,interveiws atc :D

i second the dvd...actually i wanna see a dvd for each album...each with a 5.1 mix of the album, all the videos for that album, at least one whole concert from that album's tour (preferably what they deem the best one), a gallery with all the art work concerning that album, and an hour long or more making on that album. get those taken care of for me, alright truck. thanks

#14 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:49 PM

beck does take things more seriously now than he used to. if you listen to some of his early interviews, he took most of it as a joke. i think that he felt he was going to be a one hit wonder, so he didnt push anything. there are interviews with him lying to people on radio shows or giving pointless answers. it is really funny to hear in retrospect, but it didnt vibe well at the time. i think sea change is a true testament to his maturity. it is a mix of his folk-like roots (which he always seemed to take more serious than others) with some elaborate beck music and deep, personal lyrics. guero is going to be a more peppy rebuttal to the melacholic sea change sound. i would love to see something similar to ofitg again. it is so good, especially with the crisp vinyl sound taking me back to a time before i was born.....

and on the topic of dvds.....that would make an awesome 10 year special anniversary edition for odelay. 5.1, music videos, b-sides. just thinking about it makes me pee a little.
Posted Image

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:45 AM

[QUOTE]i second the dvd...actually i wanna see a dvd for each album...each with a 5.1 mix of the album, all the videos for that album, at least one whole concert from that album's tour (preferably what they deem the best one), a gallery with all the art work concerning that album, and an hour long or more making on that album. get those taken care of for me, alright truck. thanks[QUOTE]

hey reckoner..... your wish is going to be answered .......... Guero has at least 2 x films for all tracks!!. It is a DVD Audio/DVD Video and is filled to the max. Infact there is not enough disk space to include everything.....I know this because we [D-Fuse] made most of them!!!! I think everyone is going to really like it, We're really pleased with the results and have enjoyed working with Beck and his music.
Mikef [D-Fuse]

#16 reckoner

reckoner

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:49 AM

hey reckoner..... your wish is going to be answered .......... Guero has at least 2 x films for all tracks!!. It is a DVD Audio/DVD Video and is filled to the max. Infact there is not enough disk space to include everything.....I know this because we [D-Fuse] made most of them!!!! I think everyone is going to really like it, We're really pleased with the results and have enjoyed working with Beck and his music.
Mikef [D-Fuse]

you better not be lying to me...thanks for the info...so even though i've "ruined" myself for most of the new songs, looks like there is gonna be plenty more goodies to fill the void

#17 reckoner

reckoner

Freefallin' Fajita

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:53 AM

alot of people are using the argument that beck's matured or that he now takes music more seriously, or that he releases things selectively and only stuff that has appeal....well these can only be vaild arguments if they work...but apparently it hasn't done him anygood. whether he takes music more seriously or not is completely up to him but just to point out, the majority of people think Odelay is still his masterpiece, while it still has more hits than any of his records and the best sales. so pick and choose if ya want beck but you were more poplular image wise and music wise with "fuck it"

#18 jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Sweet Sunshine

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:16 AM

sea change did well too. it was just a more subtle accomplishment than odelay, though it never reached odelay's sales
Posted Image

#19 Guest_beck's guest_*

Guest_beck's guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:41 PM

sounds to me like people are selling guero short.

a lot of the lyrics actually seem to pick up where sea change left off, or are tangents of the same vain...the difference being the songs on guero are musically more upbeat, and there are the "beat-ier" #'s as well.

when people hear the final mix/album version of Guero, people might re-evalute. guero prove's Beck's "musical genius" imo.

this will be another in a series of great "headphone" albums :D

#20 Pai Mei

Pai Mei

Goddam Genius

• Official Stewoo'ers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:53 PM

. i mean he recorded "loser" in someone's living room and hasn't surpased it since.

:rolleyes: You know Reckoner every post I have seen you make here is just you whining like a little fucking bitch about how you are not happy with something Beck is doing. Since you hate him so much why don't you fucking go away???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users